COLUMBUS, Ohio The 41st-ranked Ohio State women’s tennis team (11-6, 4-0 Big Ten) rallied from a doubles point loss to defeat No. 64 Minnesota, 5-2, at the Baseline Tennis Center in Minneapolis, Minn. The match was the third and final contest for the Buckeyes on their spring break roadtrip, which began in Las Vegas 10 days ago.
The bottom five spots of the singles lineup fueled the Buckeye rally. Sophomore Cami Hubbs dealt Alex Seaton a straight set, 6-2, 6-3 loss at the No. 3 spot, while classmate Paloma Escobedo split the first two sets and claimed the third set super tiebreaker to dismiss Tijana Koprivica at No. 2, 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 (8).
Christina Keesey kept her singles success rolling, taking a 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 win over Magdalena Wiecha at No. 3 for her eighth win in a row. The last time Keesey lost a singles match was Feb. 6, a three-set loss at No. 6 against Virginia.
Angela DiPastina claimed her 13th singles win of the year against Peta Forsyth at No. 6 singles, taking a decisive 6-3, 6-1 win, while fellow senior Julie Blackmore battled to a 7-5 first set win at No. 5 singles and took the match over Jackie Spurling, 7-5, 6-1. Kirsten Flower was the lone Buckeye to fall in singles Sunday, taking a 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (6) loss to Karina Chiarelli at No. 1.
The Buckeyes lost the doubles point for the first time in over a month. The 80th-ranked Buckeye pairing of DiPastina and Keesey fell, 8-5, to Chiarelli and Seaton at No. 1 doubles. Hubbs and Blackmore were also defeated, losing 8-3 to Koprivica and Sperling at No. 2 doubles. Flower and Escobedo trailed in their match at No. 3 doubles against Forsyth and Wiecha, 6-5, before leaving the match unfinished.
Ohio State returns to Columbus for Friday’s showdown with No. 19 Michigan at 3 p.m., followed by a match Sunday with Michigan State at 12 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Ohio State vs Minnesota
3/29/2009 at Minneapolis, Minn.
#41 Ohio State 5, #64 Minnesota 2
1. Karina Chiarelli (MINN) def. Kirsten Flower (OSU) 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (8-6)
2. Paloma Escobedo (OSU) def. Tijana Koprivica (MINN) 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-8)
3. Cami Hubbs (OSU) def. Alex Seaton (MINN) 6-2, 6-3
4. Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Magdalena Wiecha (MINN) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
5. Julie Blackmore (OSU) def. Jackie Sperling (MINN) 7-5, 6-1
6. Angela DiPastina (OSU) def. Peta Forsyth (MINN) 6-3, 6-1
1. Karina Chiarelli/Alex Seaton (MINN) def. #80 Angela DiPastina/Christina Keesey (OSU) 8-5
2. Tijana Koprivica/Jackie Sperling (MINN) def. Cami Hubbs/Julie Blackmore (OSU) 8-3
3. Peta Forsyth/Magdalena Wiecha (MINN) vs. Kirsten Flower/Paloma Escobedo (OSU) 6-5, unfinished
Ohio State 11-6, 4-0 Big Ten; National ranking #41
Minnesota 9-7, 2-3 Big Ten; National ranking #64