COLUMBUS, Ohio The No. 32 Ohio State women’s tennis team (1-1, 0-0 Big Ten) was defeated by No. 17 Notre Dame (1-0, 0-0 Big East), 6-1, Sunday in the Ohio State University Varsity Tennis Center. The loss was the first of the year for the Buckeyes, who are now 1-1 on the 2008-09 season.
Angela DiPastina got out to a hot start in No. 6 singles, taking the first set, 6-2, and went on to defeat Colleen Rielley, 6-2, 6-3. Paloma Escobedo was a standout for the Scarlet and Gray in singles, taking the 39th-ranked Kristy Frilling to a third-set super tiebreaker but eventually falling, 7-5, 3-6, 1-0 (6).
Kirsten Flower rebounded from a 6-1 loss in the first set to take No. 45 Kelsy Tefft to a tie at 3-all in the second set, but was unable to keep it going, losing 6-1, 6-3 in No. 1 singles. Julie Blackmore was also on the losing end in No. 4 singles, falling 6-1, 6-3, to No. 62 Kristen Rafael, while Kelsey Haviland lost in No. 5 singles, 6-3, 6-2, to Shannon Mathews. Kali Krisik got the best of Cami Hubbs in No. 3 singles as well, winning 6-2, 7-5.
Notre Dame took the doubles point, winning at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles. Ciobanu and Krisik opened up an early lead in No. 2 doubles for the Fighting Irish, but it was not enough to hold off the Buckeye duo of Escobedo and Blackmore who took the match, 8-6.
Hubbs and Keesey could not hold off the nation’s top-ranked doubles team of Tefft and Frilling in No. 1 doubles, fighting hard but falling, 8-3. DiPastina and Flower also lost in No. 3 doubles, 8-2, to Mathews and Rielley.
Ohio State returns to the court at 6 p.m. this evening for the nightcap with the Eastern Kentucky Colonels. Live stats will be available on OhioStateBuckeyes.com
Tennis Match Results
Notre Dame vs Ohio State
Jan 25, 2009 at Columbus, Ohio
#17 Notre Dame 6, #32 Ohio State 1
1. #45 Kelcy Tefft (ND) def. Kirsten Flower (OSU) 6-1, 6-3
2. #39 Kristy Frilling (ND) def. Paloma Escobedo (OSU) 7-5, 3-6, 1-0 (10-6)
3. #46 Kali Krisik (ND) def. Cami Hubbs (OSU) 6-2, 7-5
4. #62 Kristen Rafael (ND) def. Julie Blackmore (OSU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Shannon Mathews (ND) def. Kelsey Haviland (OSU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Angela DiPastina (OSU) def. Colleen Rielley (ND) 6-2, 6-3
1. #1 Kristy Frilling/Kelcy Tefft (ND) def. Cami Hubbs/Christina Keesey (OSU) 8-3
2. Paloma Escobedo/Julie Blackmore (OSU) def. Cosmina Ciobanu/Kali Krisik (ND) 8-6
3. Shannon Mathews/Colleen Rielley (ND) def. Kirsten Flower/Angela DiPastina (OSU) 8-2
Notre Dame 1-0; National ranking #17
Ohio State 1-1; National ranking #32
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,6,3,4,1)