Ohio State splits weekend series in Durham, looks ahead to match with No. 22 Kentucky Wednesday
COLUMBUS, Ohio The Ohio State women’s tennis team was beaten by No. 9 Duke, 4-2, in Durham, N.C., in the final match of the ITA National Indoor Championship Qualifier. The loss came one day after the Buckeyes knocked off No. 33 South Carolina to advance to play the Blue Devils with a spot in the ITA Team Indoor Championship on the line.
Julie Blackmore was at the top of her game for the Buckeyes in No. 4 singles, taking down 48th-ranked Amanda Granson in straight sets, 6-4, 6-3. Angela DiPastina gave Ohio State its second point of the day and stayed undefeated on the spring season, winning 6-2, 2-6, 6-2 in No. 6 singles over Jessi Robinson.
Cami Hubbs couldn’t get it going, falling 6-1, 6-1, to 56th-ranked Reka Zsilinszka from the No. 3 spot. Kelsey Haviland was also beaten, 6-1, 7-6, in No. 5 singles by Melissa Mang, while Duke clinched the match at the top spot with Mallory Cecil beating Kirsten Flower, 7-5, 6-4. Buckeye sophomore Paloma Escobedo and the 43rd-ranked Ellah Nze left their match at the No. 2 spot unfinished, with Nze taking the first set, 7-6 (4), and leading in the second, 3-2.
Ohio State picked up a win in doubles from Blackmore and Escobedo, dropping Robinson and Cecil at No. 2, 8-2. Duke, however, picked up wins in the other two doubles matches, with the 20th-ranked tandem of Granson and Mang dropping Christina Keesey and Hubbs, 8-4, while DiPastina and Flower were defeated by Nze and Zsilinszka, 8-4, to take the doubles point.
The Buckeyes return to the court at noon Wednesday for a match with SEC foe Kentucky in Lexington, Ky.
Tennis Match Results
Ohio State vs Duke University
Feb 01, 2009 at Durham, N.C.
#9 Duke University 4, #32 Ohio State 2
1. Mallory Cecil (DU) def. Kirsten Flower (OSU) 7-5, 6-4
2. #43 Ellah Nze (DU) vs. Paloma Escobedo (OSU) 7-6 (7-4), 3-2, unfinished
3. #56 Reka Zsilinszka (DU) def. Cami Hubbs (OSU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Julie Blackmore (OSU) def. #48 Amanda Granson (DU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Melissa Mang (DU) def. Kelsey Haviland (OSU) 6-1 (9-7), 7-6
6. Angela DiPastina (OSU) def. Jessi Robinson (DU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
1. #20 Amanda Granson/Melissa Mang (DU) def. Christina Keesey/Cami Hubbs (OSU) 8-4
2. Julie Blackmore/Paloma Escobedo (OSU) def. Jessi Robinson/Mallory Cecil (DU) 8-2
3. Ellah Nze/Reka Zsilinszka (DU) def. Angela DiPastina/Kirsten Flower (OSU) 8-4
Ohio State 3-2; National ranking #32
Duke University 2-0; National ranking #9
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,4,5,6,1)
ITA National Indoor Championship Qualifying
Match played until decision. No. 2 Singles did not finish match.