Buckeyes impress in first of two Sunday matches
COLUMBUS, Ohio The No. 45 Ohio State women’s tennis team (9-2, 0-0 Big Ten) defeated Cornell (6-1, 0-0 Ivy), 5-2, Sunday, at the OSU Varsity Tennis Center. The 9-2 start for the Scarlet and Gray is the third-best in program history and best since the 2001-02 campaign, when Ohio State started off 15-2.
Against the Big Red, the Buckeyes started off with a doubles sweep for the sixth-consecutive match, advancing their doubles record to 18-0 inside the OSU Varsity Tennis Center.
Angela DiPastina and Christina Keesey shot out to a five games to none lead in No. 1 doubles and never looked back, defeating Liz Googe and Tamara John, 8-3. Caitlin O’Keefe and Paloma Escobedo battled for Ohio State at the No. 3 spot, picking up the doubles point in a clinching win over Ruxandra Dumitrescu and Sinziana Chis, 8-5.
The No. 2 spot was owned by Julie Blackmore and Cami Hubbs, who advanced their record together to 12-4 with a win over Dana Cruite and Shayna Miller, 8-4.
With the three doubles wins, Ohio State runs its record to 18-0 this season in the OSU Varsity Tennis Center in doubles play.
It was on to singles next, where at the No. 2 spot, Escobedo picked up her fifth-consecutive win with a 6-0, 6-1, victory over Googe.
Julie Blackmore recorded a straight-set win at the No. 3 spot over John, 6-0, 6-4. The win gives Blackmore 16 wins on the season, which is second best on the team.
It took a second set tiebreaker for Christina Keesey to clinch the match for the Buckeyes in No. 4 singles, beating Cruite 6-3, 7-6 (3).
Hubbs continued her excellent debut campaign, picking up her team-best 23rd singles win with a 7-5, 6-2 decision over Melissa Orteza in No. 5 singles.
Senior Caitlin O’Keefe took the court for the Buckeyes in the No. 6 spot, waging a three-set contest with Dumitrescu. After winning the first set 6-4, O’Keefe lost the second set 6-2. The third and final set was tightly contested, with Dumitrescu coming out on the winning end of a 4-6, 6-2, 7-5 decision.
Despite being shut out in the first set of her match, DiPastina battled hard in the second set at No. 1 singles against Chis. The effort was not enough, however, as she fell 6-0, 7-5.
The Buckeyes return to the OSU Varsity Tennis Center this afternoon for a match with Eastern Michigan at 4 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Cornell vs Ohio State
Mar 02, 2008 at Columbus, Ohio
#45 Ohio State 5, Cornell 2
1. Sinziana Chis (CORNELL) def. Angela DiPastina (OSU) 6-0, 7-5
2. Paloma Escobedo (OSU) def. Elizabeth Googe (CORNELL) 6-0, 6-1
3. Julie Blackmore (OSU) def. Tamara John (CORNELL) 6-0, 6-4
4. Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Dana Cruite (CORNELL) 6-3, 7-6 (7-3)
5. Cami Hubbs (OSU) def. Melissa Orteza (CORNELL) 7-5, 6-2
6. Ruxandra Dumitrescu (CORNELL) def. Caitlin O’Keefe (OSU) 4-6, 6-2, 7-5
1. Angela DiPastina/Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Elizabeth Googe/Tamara John (CORNELL) 8-3
2. Julie Blackmore/Cami Hubbs (OSU) def. Dana Cruite/Shayna Miller (CORNELL) 8-4
3. Paloma Escobedo/Caitlin O’Keefe (OSU) def. Sinziana Chis/Ruxandra Dumitrescu (CORNELL) 8-5
Ohio State 8-2; National ranking #45
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,1,3,4,5,6)