COLUMBUS, Ohio The No. 45 Ohio State women’s tennis team (7-2, 0-0 Big Ten) defeated No. 50 Louisville (6-4, 1-1 Big East), 6-1, Wednesday, at the OSU Varsity Tennis Center. The Buckeyes opened the match by sweeping all three doubles matches to earn the doubles point and then won the first five singles matches, including three three-set wins.
“We set the tone in doubles,” Chuck Merzbacher, Ohio State head coach, said. “We played with a lot of discipline. In singles, Louisville kept it close for a while and we stepped up when we needed to. It was a 6-1 win over a very good team who had already beaten South Florida, who beat us earlier this season.”
Freshman Cami Hubbs posted the Buckeyes’ first singles point when she downed Robyn White in straight sets, 6-1, 6-3, at the No. 5 position. Classmate Paloma Escobedo extended Ohio State’s lead to 3-0 with a 6-4, 6-2 victory at the No. 2 spot over Lindsey Jones.
At No. 1 singles vs. Lauren Imre, junior Angela DiPastina rallied to take the last two sets by 6-2 scores to record Ohio State’s fourth point and clinch the team victory. Senior Caitlin O’Keefe followed suit, coming back from a set down to win 3-6, 6-4, 6-0, including winning 20-consecutive points.
At No. 4, junior Julie Blackmore dropped the first set, 7-5, to Natalia Baez but evened the match with a 6-3 win in the second set. Blackmore closed out the win with a 10-7 victory in the super tiebreaker. Bianca Gorbea posted Louisville’s win at No. 3, defeating sophomore Christina Keesey in a super tiebreaker, 7-6 (2), 5-7, 1-0 (5).
Blackmore and Hubbs got the Buckeyes going in doubles with an 8-2 victory over Baez and Gorbea in No. 2 doubles. At the third doubles spot, Escobedo and O’Keefe powered their way to an 8-1 win against White and Van Aerda. After falling into a 4-0 hole in No. 1 doubles, DiPastina and Keesey fought back, taking 8 of 10 games to dismiss Baez and Gorbea, 8-6.
Ohio State has been dominant in doubles at home this season, extending its record to a perfect 12-0 inside the OSU Varsity Tennis Center with a 3-0 sweep of the Cardinals Wednesday.
The Buckeyes return to the OSU Varsity Tennis Center this evening for a match with Cleveland State at 8 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Louisville vs Ohio State
Feb 27, 2008 at Columbus, Ohio
#45 Ohio State 6, #50 Louisville 1
1. Angela DiPastina (OSU) def. Lauren Imre (UL) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
2. Paloma Escobedo (OSU) def. Lindsey Jones (UL) 6-4, 6-2
3. Bianca Gorbea (UL) def. Christina Keesey (OSU) 7-6 (7-2), 5-7, 1-0 (10-5)
4. Julie Blackmore (OSU) def. Natalia Baez (UL) 5-7, 6-3, 1-0 (10-7)
5. Cami Hubbs (OSU) def. Robyn White (UL) 6-1, 6-3
6. Caitlin O’Keefe (OSU) def. Jo-Ann Van Aerda (UL) 3-6, 6-4, 6-0
1. Angela DiPastina/Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Bianca Gorbea/Natalia Baez (UL) 8-6
2. Julie Blackmore/Cami Hubbs (OSU) def. Lindsey Jones/Lauren Imre (UL) 8-2
3. Paloma Escobedo/Caitlin O’Keefe (OSU) def. Jo-Ann Van Aerda/Robyn White (UL) 8-1
Louisville 6-4; National ranking #50
Ohio State 7-2; National ranking #45
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,2,1,6,4,3)