Buckeyes remain perfect in doubles competition inside the Varsity Tennis Center this season
COLUMBUS, Ohio The No. 45 Ohio State women’s tennis team (8-2, 0-0 Big Ten) knocked off in-state opponent Cleveland State (7-3, 0-0 Horizon), 7-0, Wednesday, at the OSU Varsity Tennis Center.
“We played well tonight and our players were focused,” Chuck Merzbacher, Ohio State head coach, said following the match. “We have some big matches in the next few weeks and this gave us some confidence going forward.”
The Buckeyes came into the match with the Vikings with a 12-0 record at home this season in doubles. In No. 1 doubles, the tandem of Angela DiPastina and Christina Keesey knocked off Morgan Ungerott and Charlotte Gibbons, 8-2.
Paloma Escobedo and Caitlin O’Keefe made quick work of Lindsay Sellers and Jackie Tabb in No. 3 doubles, sweeping their way to an 8-0 victory. It was more of the same from the No. 2 spot, where Cami Hubbs and Julie Blackmore dispatched Sanda Bjelan and Denisa Muntean by a score of 8-1.
By sweeping both Cleveland State and Louisville Wednesday in doubles, the Buckeyes are now perfect inside the Varsity Tennis Center in doubles competition, with a 15-0 mark.
The Scarlet and Gray kept the momentum going into singles action, where each Buckeye won in straight sets.
Junior Julie Voss started Ohio State off with a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Sellers in No. 6 singles. Blackmore made her season debut at the No. 3 spot with a 6-0, 6-0 white-washing of Bjelan while O’Keefe dispatched Muntean, 6-2, 6-1.
In No. 2 singles, Keesey came out on the winning side of a 6-1, 6-1 decision against Jenn Myers, while in No. 1 singles, it was DiPastina taking a second set tiebreaker with Melissa Holzinger to win, 6-1, 7-6 (3).
Hubbs powered her way to a team-high 22nd win on the season with a 6-1, 6-3, victory over Gibbons in No. 4 singles.
The Buckeyes will be back in action Sunday at the OSU Varsity Tennis Center for matches with Cornell at 10 a.m. and Eastern Michigan at 4 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Cleveland State vs. Ohio State
Feb 27, 2008 at Columbus, Ohio
#45 Ohio State 7, Cleveland State 0
1. Angela DiPastina (OSU) def. Melissa Holzinger (CSU) 6-1, 7-6 (3)
2. Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Jenn Myers (CSU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Julie Blackmore (OSU) def. Sanda Bjelan (CSU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Cami Hubbs (OSU) def. Charlotte Gibbons (CSU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Caitlin O’Keefe (OSU) def. Denisa Muntean (CSU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Julie Voss (OSU) def. Lindsay Sellers (CSU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Angela DiPastina/Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Charlotte Gibbons/Morgan Ungerott (CSU) 8-2
2. Julie Blackmore/Cami Hubbs (OSU) def. Sanda Bjelan/Denisa Muntean (CSU) 8-1
3. Paloma Escobedo/Caitlin O’Keefe (OSU) def. Jackie Tabb/Lindsay Sellers (CSU) 8-0
Cleveland State 7-3
Ohio State 8-2; National ranking #45
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2*,1); Singles (6,3,5*,2,4,1)