Bottom of the lineup fuels Buckeye comeback
COLUMBUS, Ohio The No. 31 Ohio State women’s tennis team (18-4, 5-2 Big Ten) knocked off Purdue (4-13, 2-5 Big Ten), 5-2, Sunday in the OSU Varsity Tennis Center. The victory for the Scarlet and Gray was keyed by the No. 4, No. 5 and No. 6 singles positions, who all picked up wins.
Freshman Cami Hubbs set the Ohio State record for singles wins in a season by picking up her 32nd victory from the No. 5 spot with a 6-0, 6-0, white washing of Anna Dzeva. The mark was previously held by All-American Kristy Dascoli, who went 31-14 as a senior in 2001. Hubbs’ winning percentage this season is now .842 (32-6), the highest for a Buckeye since Ann Wilson had a winning percentage of .952 in 1975.
“She got that win quickly after we lost the doubles point to tie the match,” Chuck Merzbacher, Ohio State head coach, said following the match. “It makes that 32nd win that much sweeter. All season, she’s just been a great counter for us in team matches.”
Senior Caitlin O’Keefe joined Hubbs in victory, topping Alejandra Boeker at the No. 6 spot, 6-3, 6-4. Sophomore Christina Keesey held off a late charge from Joanna Craven in the third set to take the match, 6-3, 3-6, 7-5, extending her win streak to five.
Junior Angela DiPastina recovered from a first set hole at No. 1 singles to take the match, 7-6(4), 6-4, over Brooke Beier. Paloma Escobedo was the sole loss in singles for the Buckeyes, falling at the No. 2 spot, 6-2, 6-1, to Stephanie Wooten.
Junior Julie Blackmore closed out singles play with a 6-2, 4-6, 6-2, victory over Cigdem Duru at the No. 3 position.
Ohio State fell in doubles competition for just the third time this season at home. Despite a win from Escobedo and O’Keefe at the No. 3 spot, 8-1, the Boilermakers were too much for the Buckeyes at the top two spots. Blackmore and Hubbs saw their 12-match home unbeaten streak fall at the No. 2 position, 8-5, while DiPastina and Keesey lost at the top spot, 9-7.
The Buckeyes return to the OSU Varsity Tennis Center Sunday for the final home match of the season against Illinois at 11 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
Purdue vs Ohio State
Apr 12, 2008 at Columbus, Ohio
#31 Ohio State 5, Purdue 2
1. Angela DiPastina (OSU) def. Brooke Beier (PUR) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
2. Stephanie Wooten (PUR) def. Paloma Escobedo (OSU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Julie Blackmore (OSU) def. Cigdem Duru (PUR) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
4. Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Joanna Craven (PUR) 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
5. Cami Hubbs (OSU) def. Anna Dzeva (PUR) 6-0, 6-0
6. Caitlin O’Keefe (OSU) def. Alejandra Boeker (PUR) 6-3, 6-4
1. Brooke Beier/Stephanie Wooten (PUR) def. Angela DiPastina/Christina Keesey (OSU) 9-7
2. Cigdem Duru/Joanna Craven (PUR) def. Julie Blackmore/Cami Hubbs (OSU) 8-5
3. Paloma Escobedo/Caitlin O’Keefe (OSU) def. Alejandra Boeker/Whitney Reys (PUR) 8-1
Purdue 4-13 (2-5 Big Ten)
Ohio State 18-4 (5-2 Big Ten); National ranking #31
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,6,2,1,4,3)