Ohio State sweeps both Drake and Coastal Carolina in final road non-conference action
COLUMBUS, Ohio The 35th-ranked Ohio State women’s tennis team (12-3, 0-1 Big Ten) swept both Drake (5-6, 0-0 Missouri Valley) and Coastal Carolina (7-4, 1-1 Big South) at the Fort Myers Collegiate Invitational Monday in Fort Myers, Fla., on the campus of Florida Gulf Coast University.
In the 9 a.m. match, the Buckeyes faced Drake. Ohio State took the doubles point behind 8-3 victories from the No. 1 doubles team of Christina Keesey and Angela DiPastina and the No. 2 doubles team of Cami Hubbs and Julie Blackmore. The No. 3 spot was won by default by the Buckeyes, since the Bulldogs could only compete with five athletes because of illness.
It was more of the same in singles action, where every Ohio State player won in straight sets. Paloma Escobedo, who was playing at the No. 1 spot for the first time in eight matches, dropped Veronika Leszayova, 6-1, 6-1. DiPastina followed suit in No. 2 singles, winning 7-5, 6-2, over Irina Kalashnikova.
The No. 3, No. 4 and No. 5 spots were all dominant, with Blackmore winning 6-1, 6-0 in No. 3 singles, Keesey winning 6-0, 6-0 at the No. 4 spot and Caitlin O’Keefe picking up a 6-1, 6-0 victory at the No. 5 spot. Julie Voss won by default at the No. 6 spot.
In the afternoon, Ohio State took on Coastal Carolina in the championship match, who beat Florida Gulf Coast in its morning match, 4-3. The Buckeyes again had no problem winning the doubles point, with DiPastina and Keesey leading the way with an 8-3 win in No. 1 doubles. Blackmore and Hubbs recorded their 10th-consecutive doubles win with an 8-2 decision at the No. 2 spot.
Escobedo and O’Keefe pushed their doubles record to 13-5 on the season with an 8-1 victory at No. 3 doubles.
The Scarlet and Gray finished it out in singles, winning all six matches in straight sets, including two white-washings. Escobedo won her ninth match in 10 matches with a 6-0, 6-0, victory over Lexi Bolesky in No. 1 singles. Keesey provided her second 6-0, 6-0, win of the day from the No. 4 spot, toppling Tine Petkova.
DiPastina won 6-3, 6-1 in No. 2 singles, Blackmore won her eighth straight, 6-1, 6-0 at the No. 3 spot and O’Keefe added a 6-2, 6-1 victory from the No. 6 spot.
Hubbs picked up a 6-2, 6-2, win from the No. 5 spot, giving her 26 singles wins on the season and leaving her just one win shy of tying the freshman wins record held by Sadhaf Pervez.
Ohio State returns to Columbus this weekend for matches with Minnesota Saturday at 11 a.m. and Iowa Sunday at 10 a.m. inside the OSU Varsity Tennis Center.
Tennis Match Results
Drake vs Ohio State
Mar 17, 2008 at Fort Myers, Florida
#35 Ohio State 7, Drake 0
1. Paloma Escobedo (OSU) def. Veronika Leszayova (DRAKE) 6-1, 6-1
2. Angela DiPastina (OSU) def. Irina Kalashnikova (DRAKE) 7-5, 6-2
3. Julie Blackmore (OSU) def. Kari Sloboth (DRAKE) 6-1, 6-0
4. Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Sarah Plowman (DRAKE) 6-0, 6-0
5. Caitlin O’Keefe (OSU) def. Daria Zawislak (DRAKE) 6-1, 6-0
6. No player (DRAKE) vs. Julie Voss (OSU) no result
1. Christina Keesey/Angela DiPastina (OSU) def. Veronika Leszayova/Sarah Plowman (DRAKE) 8-3, 8-0
2. Julie Blackmore/Cami Hubbs (OSU) def. Irina Kalashnikova/Kari Sloboth (DRAKE) 8-3
Ohio State 11-3; National ranking #35
Tennis Match Results
Coastal Carolina vs Ohio State
Mar 17, 2008 at Fort Myers, Fla.
#35 Ohio State 7, Coastal Carolina 0
1. Paloma Escobedo (OSU) def. Lexi Bolesky (CC) 6-0, 6-0
2. Angela DiPastina (OSU) def. Amy Pazhanick (CC) 6-3, 6-1
3. Julie Blackmore (OSU) def. Kim Webb (CC) 6-1, 6-3
4. Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Tina Petkova (CC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Cami Hubbs (OSU) def. Sofie Ahlberg (CC) 6-2, 6-2
6. Caitlin O’Keefe (OSU) def. Maria Camberos (CC) 6-1, 6-2
1. Angela DiPastina/Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Lexi Bolesky/Amy Pazhanick (CC) 8-3
2. Julie Blackmore/Cami Hubbs (OSU) def. Maria Camberos/Tina Petkova (CC) 8-2
3. Caitlin O’Keefe/Paloma Escobedo (OSU) def. Sofie Ahlberg/Kim Webb (CC) 8-1
Coastal Carolina 8-4
Ohio State 12-3; National ranking #35