Ohio State now on six game winning streak
COLUMBUS, Ohio The No. 45 Ohio State women’s tennis team (10-2, 0-0 Big Ten) defeated Eastern Michigan (4-7, 0-0 MAC), 7-0, Sunday, at the OSU Varsity Tennis Center. The win for the Scarlet and Gray extends their team winning streak to six matches.
The Buckeyes once again swept doubles competition, pushing their combined team record to a perfect 21-0 inside the OSU Varsity Tennis Center.
The Eastern Michigan tandem of Vanessa Frankowski and Tina Bestehorn, both natives of Germany, jumped out to an early 3-0 lead in No. 1 doubles. Angela DiPastina and Christina Keesey fought back to tie the match at 6-all and then broke serve to run the score to 7-6, before taking the match, 8-6.
Ohio State posted twin white-washings at the Nos. 2 and 3 doubles spots, with Julie Blackmore and Caitlin O’Keefe dropping Swedish teammates Aleksandra Stankovic and Sandra Wikstrom, 8-0, at the No. 2 spot, and Paloma Escobedo and Caitlin O’Keefe defeating the Canadian pair of Joanna Woo and Aditi Krishnan, 8-0, in No. 3 doubles.
In singles, Hubbs continued her march toward the OSU record book by picking up her team-best 24th singles win over Stankovic at the No. 5 spot, 6-2, 6-0. The win leaves her just three away from tying the freshman single-season record.
Keesey powered her way to a straight-set, 6-2, 6-1, victory over Bestehorn in No. 4 singles while Blackmore provided the clincher for the Buckeyes at the No. 3 spot with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Wikstrom.
Escobedo worked her way to victory over Krishnan in No. 3 singles, winning 6-3, 6-1, to pick up her 14th win of the campaign. O’Keefe took care of business at the No. 6 spot, dropping Woo to pick up a 6-1, 6-4 victory.
DiPastina topped off the sweep in No. 1 singles, where she downed Frankowski, 6-3, 6-4, to pick up her fourth win in six matches.
The Buckeyes will be back in the Varsity Tennis Center Saturday March 8 for the Big Ten opener with Indiana at 10 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
Eastern Michigan vs Ohio State
Mar 02, 2008 at Columbus, Ohio
#45 Ohio State 7, Eastern Michigan 0
1. Angela DiPastina (OSU) def. Vanessa Frankowski (EMU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Paloma Escobedo (OSU) def. Aditi Krishnan (EMU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Julie Blackmore (OSU) def. Sandra Wikstrom (EMU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Catharina Bestehorn (EMU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Cami Hubbs (OSU) def. Aleksandra Stankovic (EMU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Caitlin O’Keefe (OSU) def. Joanna Woo (EMU) 6-1, 6-4
1. Angela DiPastina/Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Vanessa Frankowski/Catharina Bestehorn (EMU) 8-6
2. Julie Blackmore/Cami Hubbs (OSU) def. Sandra Wikstrom/Aleksandra Stankovic (EMU) 8-0
3. Paloma Escobedo/Caitlin O’Keefe (OSU) def. Joanna Woo/Aditi Krishnan (EMU) 8-0
Eastern Michigan 4-7
Ohio State 10-2; National ranking #45
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,4,3,2,6,1)