Feb. 22, 2013
PDF: Friday Prelim Results
The Ohio State women’s swimming and diving squad returned to the University of Minnesota Aquatic Center Friday afternoon for prelims of the 2013 Big Ten Championships. With seven events on the schedule for finals later in the evening, the Buckeyes are locked-in on a key chapter of the championship meet.
Here are some notes to prepare for tonight’s finals:
- Ohio State will kick off the night with the 400 medley relay. Coming into the championships, the Buckeyes boasted the Big Ten’s fastest time in the event.
- A total of 14 individuals will represent Ohio State in event finals on Friday.
- Shannon Draves dropped an Ohio State school record in the 100 butterfly (52.58) to qualify for the runner-up slot. She previously held the varsity record with a time of 53.54.
- Kelsey Moran became the first Buckeye to ever break 53 seconds in the 100 backstroke. Moran improved her Ohio State school record time to 52.98.
- Annie Gillig posted a season-best time (4:16.16) for the Buckeyes in the 400 IM. The freshman standout qualified ninth.
- Along with Gillig, teammates Kristyn Fulcher, Kelly Titus and Angela Severn also qualified for consolation finals in the 400 IM.
- In the 200 freestyle, Alex Norris qualified for the A-Final in a season-best time of 1:46.19. It ranks as the third-fastest 200 freestyle time in OSU history.
- Freshmen Rachael Dzierzak (1:02.55) and Annie Lazor (1:02.88) each earned personal best times in the 100 breaststroke.
- OSU qualified two swimmers – Kelsey Moran and Emily Creran – for the A-Final in the 100 backstroke.
Current Team Standings:
1. Minnesota (202.5)
2. Indiana (211.5)
3. Penn State (175)
4. Purdue (142.5)
5. Ohio State (132)
6. Wisconsin (116.5)
7. Michigan (116)
8. Nebraska (90)
9. Northwestern (79)
11.Michigan State (34)