May 31, 2017
RELATED INFO: Academic All-Big Ten | Season Stats | 2017 Team Guide | Record Book | Walk-Up Songs | 2017 Schedule | 2017 Roster | Softball Homepage | Big Ten Softball | Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
COLUMBUS, Ohio – A dozen Ohio State softball players earned Academic All-Big Ten honors, the conference office announced today. The 12 honorees are tied for the most amongst the 14 conference softball programs.
To be eligible for Academic All-Big Ten selection, students must be letterwinners who are in at least their second academic year at their institution and carry a cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 or higher. Twelve out of the 16 Buckeyes that were eligible qualified (75 percent).
The latest academic distinctions wrap up a stellar year in the classroom. A total of 18 students finished the 2016-17 academic year with a grade-point average of 3.0 or better. In May, four earned their degrees: Shelby Hursh (English), Lena Springer (criminology and criminal justice), Maddie Marotti (sport industry) and Anna Kirk (sport industry).
Three of the Academic All-Big Ten honorees also earned postseason recognition from the conference for their on-field performance. Emily Clark was a first team All-Big Ten selection after hitting .371 in 23 conference games with five home runs and 18 RBI while Hursh also secured a spot on the first team while leading the Buckeyes with six wins, a 2.72 ERA and 37 strikeouts over 54.0 innings during conference play. Kirk, with her .959 fielding percentage at third base, made the All-Defensive Team. In addition to Clark and Hursh, junior Becca Gavin and outfielder Alex Bayne were both Academic All-Big Ten and NFCA All-Midwest Region selections.
Overall, Ohio State produced a conference-best 220 student-ahtletes on the Academic All-Big Ten team for spring and at-large sports.
Ohio State’s 2016-17 Academic All-Big Ten honorees:
• Alex Bayne | Senior | Manvel, Texas | Major: Sports Management (Master’s)
• Bri Betschel | Sophomore | Anaheim, Calif. | Major: Human Development & Family Science
• Megan Choinacky | Sophomore | Greenville, Ind. | Major: Pharmaceutical Sciences
• Emily Clark | Sophomore | Prospect, Ohio | Major: Sport Industry
• Katya Duvall | Sophomore | Seal Beach, Calif. | Major: Language Arts Education
• Becca Gavin | Junior | Gahanna, Ohio | Major: Biology
• Shelby Hursh | Senior | Tipton, Ind. | Major: English
• Anna Kirk | Senior | Groveport, Ohio | Major: Sport Industry
• Maddie Marotti | Rs.-Junior | Dublin, Ohio | Major: Sport Industry
• Shelby McCombs | Junior | Major: Human Development & Family Science
• Morgan Ray | Sophomore | Frenchtown, Mt. | Major: Health Sciences Program
• Bailee Sturgeon | Junior | Ashville, Ohio | Major: Sport Industry