Oct. 31, 2017
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The ninth-ranked and top-seeded Ohio State women’s soccer team takes on fifth-seeded and 15th-ranked Penn State in a Big Ten semifinal at 1 p.m. Friday at Grand Park in Westfield, Ind.
Fans can follow live stats and streaming video on the schedule page at OhioStateBuckeyes.com or follow on Twitter @OhioState_WSOC. The match will be aired on BTN on tape delay at 9:30 p.m. Friday.
Tickets are $12 for adults, $7 youth/students and $1 for veterans/active military.
OHIO STATE OF LATE
Eleanor Gabriel put the Buckeyes ahead in the 60th minute and Sarah Roberts scored the eventual game-winner in the 103rd minute as No. 13 and top-seeded Ohio State edged Iowa, 2-1, in a Big Ten Tournament quarterfinal Sunday afternoon at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.
BUCKEYES IN THE B1G TOURNAMENT
Ohio State is 13-12-4 all-time in Big Ten Tournament play, winning championships in 2002, 2004 and 2012. In 14 conference tournaments under the direction of head coach Lori Walker-Hock, the Buckeyes have tallied a 13-9-4 record.
BUCKEYES’ ALL-BIG HONOREES
In the list of All-Big Ten teams and individual award winners announced Friday, head coach Lori Walker-Hock was a unanimous choice for Big Ten Coach of the Year while Nikki Walts was named midfielder of the Year and Morgan Wolcott garnered Defender of the Year laurels. Forward Sammy Edwards joined Walts and Wolcott as first team All-Big Ten picks while goalkeeper Devon Kerr was a second team All-Big Ten selection and midfielder Sarah Roberts and defender Izzy Rodriguez were third team all-conference honorees. Forward Maddy Lowe joined Rodriguez on the Big Ten All-Freshman team while defender Kylie Knight was the Buckeyes’ Big Ten sportsmanship award selection.
IN THE RANKINGS
The Buckeyes are ranked ninth in the United Soccer Coaches poll, 10th by TopDrawerSoccer.com and 12th by Soccer America. Ohio State also sits 16th in the latest RPI rankings and is ranked first in the United Soccer Coaches Midwest region.
BUCKEYES PICK UP B1G WEEKLY HONORS
Three Buckeyes have picked up a total of five Big Ten Conference weekly honors so far in 2017.
Ohio State Big Ten Weekly Honors:
Devon Kerr – Defensive Player of the Week (9/26)
Sammy Edwards – Offensive Player of the Week (10/4)
Devon Kerr – Defensive Player of the Week (10/4)
Izzy Rodriguez – Freshman of the Week (10/11)
Sammy Edwards – Offensive Player of the Week (10/26)
SOME MORE NOTES
– Ohio State is 37-1-2 when scoring at least two goals in a game since the start of 2014, including 11-0-0 in 2017. The Buckeyes went 5-0-1 when scoring at least twice in 2014 before going a perfect 11-0-0 in 2016 and 10-1-1 last season.
– Ohio State is 15-0-0 when scoring first after going 10-0-1 when scoring first a season ago.
– The Buckeyes suffered their first loss in 15 overtime matches in a 1-0 double-overtime defeat at No. 1 West Virginia last Nov. 18 before going 4-0-1 in overtime contests so far in 2017. Ohio State is now 9-1-7 in overtime matches over the last three seasons.
– The seven goals against Illinois Sept. 14 marked the most in a Big Ten game in program history and tied for the fourth-most in any contest. The highest-scoring outputs in Ohio State women’s soccer history:
14 vs. Robert Morris (10/12/95)
9 at Valparaiso (11/2/96)
8 vs. Xavier (9/2/04)
7 vs. Youngstown State (9/21/03)
7 vs. Illinois (9/14/17)
– The goal the Buckeyes allowed in the 83rd minute snapped at Rutgers Ohio State’s shutout streak at 687:20, marking the longest shutout streak in program history. The streak bested the previous high of 522 minutes in 1998 and 460:59 in 2012.
– The Buckeyes are second in the Big Ten with 36 goals scored and 37 assists.
– Sammy Edwards is fourth in the conference with 10 goals and 25 points while Nikki Walts is second with nine assists. Edwards’ five game-winning goals tie for second in the conference while Arden Holden is tied for fifth with six assists. Goalkeeper Devon Kerr ranks second in the conference with a 0.54 goals-against average and fourth with nine shutouts.
– Ohio State sits 14th in the country with a 0.50 goals-against average and 26th with a 0.85 save percentage. The Buckeyes also are tied for 19th with 37 assists.
– Nikki Walts is tied for 12th nationally with nine assists while Devon Kerr is tied for 20th with nine clean sheets and 17th with a 0.54 goals-against average.
– Sammy Edwards joins Nichelle Prince and Lara Dickenmann in a tie for eighth on the Ohio State career goals list with 27. The senior also moved into 10th on the Buckeyes’ career points list with 63. Nikki Walts sits in sole possession of fourth place on the Buckeyes’ career assists list with 22 and tied for fourth on the single-season assists list with nine. Devon Kerr’s nine shutouts tie her with Emily Haynam and Amber Barnes for second on the Buckeyes’ single-season shutout list. Kerr also sits tied with Katie Baumgardner for fifth on the Ohio State career clean sheet list with 11.
– With the wins at Nebraska and Iowa, the Buckeyes earned victories in their first two Big Ten road matches of the season for the first time since the 2010 campaign.
– Ohio State allowed just four shots against Michigan and then again at No. 24 Rutgers, marking the fewest the Buckeyes have allowed in a game since allowing four in a 3-0 win over Indiana Oct. 30, 2011.
– The Buckeyes have outscored their opponents 20-5 after halftime this season.
BUCKEYE TRIO NAMED PLAYERS TO WATCH
Seniors Nikki Walts and Morgan Wolcott, along with freshman Maddy Lowe, have been named the Buckeyes’ players to watch, the conference office announced Aug. 14. Ohio State was selected eighth in the Big Ten preseason coaches’ poll.
WALTS, WOLCOTT NAMED 2017 CAPTAINS
Seniors Nikki Walts and Morgan Wolcott have been named captains of the 2017 Ohio State women’s soccer team, head coach Lori Walker-Hock announced Aug. 15. In addition, Walker-Hock announced sophomore Meghan Kammerdeiner will serve as assistant captain of the Buckeyes.
SCOUTING PENN STATE
No. 15 Penn State is 10-4-4 on the year and finished Big Ten play with a 6-2-3 record. The Nittany Lions, who advanced on penalty kicks after a scoreless draw at Rutgers last Sunday, are led offensively by Megan Schafer (5g, 3a) and Emily Ogle (4g, 3a). Goalkeeper Rose Chandler has posted a 0.69 goals-against average with seven clean sheets.
The Buckeyes trail the all-time series with the Nittany Lions, 7-21-1, but topped Penn State, 1-0, Sept. 30 in Columbus.
THE COACHING STAFF
Ohio State is under the direction of 21st-year head coach Lori Walker-Hock. She has guided the team to 11 NCAA Tournament berths (2002-03-04-07-09-10-11-12-13-15-16), two Big Ten regular season championship (2010, 2017) and three Big Ten Tournament championships (2002, 2004, 2012). Her record at Ohio State is 241-158-41 and her career record, including two seasons at Kansas, is 254-181-42.
JESSE OWENS MEMORIAL STADIUM
Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium, the home to the Buckeyes, has provided quite the home-field advantage for the women’s soccer team. Some stats about the facility:
– The home team is 132-51-19 all-time.
– Ohio State is 113-34-17 since 2003 and 67-22-9 since 2009.
The winner of the matchup between the Buckeyes and Nittany Lions takes on the winner of the contest between No. 2 seed Northwestern and No. 6 seed Wisconsin in the Big Ten Tournament Championship at 2 p.m. Sunday.