Aug. 4, 2015
Michelle Burns is entering her third year on the Ohio State women’s gymnastics team. The St. Louis, Missouri native achieved personal bests on beam with a 9.8, floor with a 9.825 and vault with a 9.85 this past season. On Valentine’s Day last year, Burns had a sweet treat of her own when she stuck the landing on vault for a win against Penn State. During the summer, she interned with Bucks Go Pro for LiFE Sports in the Ohio State Department of Athletics. After graduation, Burns hopes to work in fundraising management for a nonprofit organization and ultimately start her own nonprofit organization to give underprivileged people better lives.
- What is the best time of year on campus? The Fall, of course!
- What is your preferred mode of transportation to class? My feet—or the bus if I’m lucky! Have you switched your major? If so, how many times and why and if not, how did you know your major was “the one”? I was accepted as pre-business but switched to Exploration before I arrived on campus. At the end of my freshman year, I declared the major of Hospitality Management. In the fall of my sophomore year, I added on a Business minor as well as a degree in Strategic Communication. So, I’m getting a dual degree with a minor.
- What has been your favorite or most interesting class at OSU? Hmm… I took a Food Production Management class (basically a cooking class) for my Hospitality Management degree. I was challenged in cooking—something I love to do, but I learned so much during the semester!
- If you had to give an incoming student advice, what would it be?
- The advice I would share with an incoming student would be to get involved and to step out of your comfort zone. Ohio State is a great University, and there are countless opportunities for us here. You will meet some amazing people here. And most of all, enjoy the time you have here.
- What social media do you prefer the most? I’m a photo person—Instagram all the way! Please don’t ask me to tweet.
- Which do you watch more: Netflix or TV? I don’t have a television at my apartment, so Netflix on my iPad is my form of television.
- Would you rather read the book or watch the movie? Movie!
- What song can you not help but sing-a-long to? Tough question—I like all kinds of music. But “Something in the Water” by Carrie Underwood gets me every time!
- What was the last movie that you saw in theaters? Pitch Perfect 2 (for the second time…)!
- When is your favorite time of your sport’s season? I love championship season—B1G’s is always fun. But, I honestly love the beginning of season. I love being able to compete after months of preseason because my team finally gets to show everyone what we’ve been working on for so long.
- Which team do you most look forward to competing against? Penn State!
- Do you have any pre-game/match superstitions or rituals? Ever since I was about fourteen years old, I have always watched the movie Remember the Titans the night before every meet! Yes, that adds up to at least ten weekends in a row.
- What is your favorite part about your sport? I just love that gymnastics has multiple events. You can show your talent, personality, and excitement differently depending on the event. I like that my sport is a team sport and an individual sport, and there are always new skills being invented.
- What is your favorite athletic memory?
- My favorite athletic memory was qualifying to J.O. Nationals for the first time my freshman year of high school. I was coming off of an elbow injury that kept me out of competition for two seasons, so it was great to make a comeback in that way!
- What is the best meal you have ever eaten, and where did you get it from/who made it? My parents’ homemade spaghetti is amazing! Whenever I come home, my parents make sure to make it for dinner.
- Do you have a sweet tooth and if you do, what is your favorite treat? Yes—I love cookies. Sugar cookies, specifically.
- When you are not at practice, what could someone find you doing? Right now, you could find me at one of my two internships for the summer. If not, I am most likely studying, cooking or baking, or spending time with friends.
- Do you have a hidden talent? I wish I did…
- If you could play another sport other than yours, what would it be? I loved running track when I was younger! I would love to run at the college level.
- If you won the lottery, what would you do? I would buy myself three dogs, then I would give the rest to the orphanage that I came from in the Philippines.
- What do you most look forward to doing during the summer? Sleep! But that never happens…
- If you were a superhero, what would your superpower be? This question is so hard to answer! I think I would like to fly though—I’m always driving back and forth from place to place, so it would be nice to not spend money on gas!
- Do you have an interesting nickname? Mich (pronounced like quiche)—or Wei Wei (like the gymnast from the movie Stick It)
- If you could switch places with anyone on your team for a day, who would you choose? I’d love to switch places with Kaitlynn Hofland—she’s the sweetest girl I know, and she has a great sense of fashion. And she’s such a talented gymnast on bars, and I’d love to be able to swing bars like her!
- What is the best piece of advice you have ever received? “Let go and let God”—I don’t know who said that quote, but it’s always been important for me to remember.
- If you could witness any event of the past, present, or future, what would it be? The resurrection of Jesus
- Would you be the first O, H, I or last O in a picture? I’d like to be one of the O’s—I always look weird when I try to be the H or I.
- What is your favorite part about being a Buckeye? My favorite part about being a Buckeye is have so many opportunities right in front of me—I am surrounded by great people, awesome professors, and amazing school spirit. I went to a small, all-girls high school, and to come to such a big University and still feel like I’m at home and part of a family is something truly special.