EAST LANSING, Mich. – The Ohio State baseball team fell, 8-3, in its regular season finale at Michigan State Saturday afternoon at Kobs Field in McLane Stadium. The Buckeyes (34-20, 14-10 B1G) will now wait to see what seeding they will be in the 2018 Big Ten Tournament May 23-27 in Omaha, Neb. The tournament bracket will be released Saturday evening.
– Michigan State scored the first run of the game in the bottom of the first when Justin Antoncic knocked a double down the left field line off Ohio State starting pitcher Adam Niemeyer.
– The Spartans added three runs in the bottom of the second on two hits. With the bases loaded, a wild pitch made it 2-0. An infield single extended the lead three runs before a sac fly pushed the deficit to 4-0.
– The Buckeyes got on the board in the third with a two-out RBI single by Kobie Foppe.
– Michigan State made it a five-run game in the bottom of the third when Zack McGuire hit a two-run homer over the wall in left off right-handed reliever Austin Woodby.
– Dominic Canzone led the Buckeyes at the plate, going 2-for-5 with a run scored and two doubles.
– MSU starter Mike Momka improved to 2-4 on the year, limiting OSU to one run on six hits with four strikeouts and one walk in a career-high seven-inning performance. Niemeyer dropped to 3-3, throwing two innings and gave up four runs on four hits with three walks. Woodby threw 3.1 innings and gave up two runs on three hits with two strikeouts. Right-handed reliever Kyle Michalik threw 1.2 scoreless innings on one hit and one strikeout.
– The Buckeyes scored two runs in the ninth.
– Ohio State finishes the 2018 regular season with a 34-19 overall record and 14-10 mark in Big Ten play.
– Reached base streaks extended: Barnwell (11), Cowles (11), Foppe (10), Canzone (8) and Coolen (7).
– Hit streaks extended: Cowles (10), Canzone (8) and Foppe (7).
– Canzone recorded his 16th and 17th doubles of the year (tied his career high).
– McGowan leads the team with 27 multi-hit games. Canzone recorded his 24th multi-hit contest.