Feb. 17, 2017
COLUMBUS, Ohio – A gaggle of Buckeyes, 14 different players to be exact, saw action Friday night in Ohio State’s four-set triumph over Quincy University (3-9, 1-5 MIVA). The top-ranked Buckeyes improve to 14-0 overall and 5-0 in conference play this season while stretching their winning streak to 37 consecutive matches. Nicolas Szerszen struck 16 kills to lead the team by a wide margin, attacking at a .429 rate. He also tacked on four service aces and a pair of block assists to total 21 points. Reese Devilbiss, Driss Guessous and Miles Johnson each posted seven kills while Ryan Genn, Maxime Hervoir and Blake Leeson were responsible for five kills apiece. Devilbiss and Guessous recorded identical attacking lines of seven kills-one error-nine attempts for .667 hitting percentages. Genn and Leeson registered matching offensive numbers as well, both bouncing five kills on seven swings with a lone blunder (.571).
• Ohio State is riding a 37-match winning streak
• Marks the longest winning streak in OSU Athletics history for teams competing in head-to-head competition
• The Buckeyes last suffered an NCAA loss on February 6, 2016
• Ohio State has won 111 of 132 sets (84%) during the victorious stretch
• The streak includes six wins over Top-5 opponents and nearly half (18) against teams ranked inside the Top-12
• Also included in the streak are 16 straight wins in true road matches
• Loyola owns 40-match run in 2014-15 while UCLA is believed to own the all-time record of 47 straight (1979-80 and 1983-85)
Set 1: Ohio State blitzed the Hawks quickly, rifling in four service aces (three by Szerszen) to build a 10-1 lead before anyone blinked. The OSU cushion would shrink to no less than eight points throughout the frame and wrapping up at 25-14 on a Genn kill.
Set 2: With several reserves seeing extended action, the second set was hotly contested with seven lead changes and 18 tied scores. The final stalemate came at 20-20 before Quincy wrangled five of the next seven points to even the match, one set apiece, at intermission.
IN DA FACE!!! pic.twitter.com/CUeNIwdwd4
— OSU Men’s Volleyball (@OhioState_MVB) February 18, 2017
Set 3: A beast was awoken at the break as Ohio State marched to a .611 attacking efficiency in the third frame. The Buckeyes connected on 13 kills and a pair of aces, never trailing in a 25-15 winner.
Set 4: Gabriel Domecus single-handedly out-dug the Hawks, picking up four digs compared to just three for Quincy. Domecus’ defensive efforts were off-set by four blocks for the QU defense, however, setting up another close frame. Tied at 7-all, back-to-back Hawk attacking gaffes handed Ohio State an edge it would not relinquish. The Buckeyes concluded the evening as 25-20 victors to close out the contest.
The Scarlet & Gray return to the court on Sunday (Feb. 19) for another conference clash, taking on the Lindenwood Lions at 4 p.m. ET.