Nov. 22, 2016
Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat
Setting the Scene
- After opening with four games at home, the Buckeyes head out on the road for the first time this season to sunny Florida for the Gulf Coast Showcase.
- Ohio State will play three games over the weekend at the Germain Arena.
- The first game is scheduled for 5 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 25 against local favorites Florida Gulf Coast. That game will be a rematch of a double-overtime thriller in the Virgin Islands two years ago.
- Game two will either be against Syracuse, a Final Four team a year ago, or the 3-1 Colonials of George Washington. That game will either be at 1:30 p.m. or 7:30 p.m. on Saturday.
- The Buckeyes have opened the year 3-1 following a lopsided 113-54 victory over LIU Brooklyn last Saturday.
- With her next three-point field goal, Kelsey Mitchell will tie Caity Matter’s school record of 270 career three-pointers.
- All three games will be streamed live online at www.GulfCoastShowcase.com.
- The games can also be heard on ESPN 1460 AM in the Columbus area and on www.OhioStateBuckeyes.com.
Noting The Buckeyes
- Ohio State is 3-1 on the season and ranked No. 8 in the AP poll and No. 8 in the Coaches Poll.
- Junior Kelsey Mitchell’s next three-point field goal will the OSU career three-point record of 270 held by Caity Matter.
- Mitchell has scored 1,859 career points and is already eighth in school history. The Big Ten preseason Player of the Year is 53 points away from tying Tracey Hall for seventh place.
- Stephanie Mavunga has played in three of the four games this season and has led the team in rebounding in each of those three games as well as notching a pair of double-doubles.
- The Buckeyes led the Big Ten and were third in the country last season in scoring at 86.0 ppg and are averaging 94.5 points per game over the first four contests.
- Sierra Calhoun made her first five three-point attempts against Cleveland State and is averaging nearly three three-pointers per contest.
- The Buckeyes were 273rd in the country last year with a -3.5 rebounding margin. So far this year, OSU has a +13.5 margin on the boards.
- Kevin McGuff is in his fourth season with the Buckeyes and his 15th overall as a head coach. He has a career record of 325-137 (.702) and 70-38 (.648) with the Buckeyes. McGuff led Ohio State back to the NCAA Sweet 16 last season, marking the second NCAA Sweet 16 appearance of his career.
- Before the end of the season, Ohio State has the potential to have four 1,000-point scorers on its roster. In addition to Mitchell, Mavunga is just 62 points away from the mark while Alexa Hart and Shayla Cooper are also within range.
Noting The Gulf Coast Showcase Field
- The Buckeyes open the tournament against local favorite Florida Gulf Coast on Friday.
- The Eagles come into the weekend at 2-2 overall with wins over Hartford and rival FIU as well as losses to Quinnipiac and Northern Colorado.
- Guard Erica Nelson leads the way for FGCU at 14.3 points per game and 3.0 assists per game.
- Haley Laughter has come off the bench in the first four games and is second on the team at 12.3 ppg thanks to a team-high 10 three-pointers.
- The Eagles are averaging nine made threes per game and has notched 10.3 steals per contest.
- The only previous meeting between OSU and FGCU was a 90-83 double-overtime victory for the Buckeyes in the third game of the Paradise Jam on Nov. 29, 2014.
- George Washington or Syracuse will be game two’s opponent on Saturday.
- After opening the year with a loss to Georgetown, the Colonials have won three-straight.
- 6-2 forward Ciera Washignton leads the team in both scoring (13.8 ppg) and rebounding (7.5 rpg).
- The Buckeyes and Colonials have not met before on the hardwood.
- Syracuse is coming off a Final Four run a year ago and has started the year 3-1 following a loss at Drexel last Monday.
- Alexis Peterson is averaging over 19 points and seven assists per game. Brittany Sykes has pulled-down 8.0 rebounds per game and is scoring better than 17 points per contest.
- The Orange is shooting over 31 percent from long range and make more than 10 three-pointers per game.
- Syracuse and Ohio State have met 10 times previously. The Buckeyes won the first nine meetings and the Orange won the most recent meeting, a 75-66 win in Syracuse on Dec. 11, 2010.
- The last mid-season tournament Ohio State won was the 2009 WNIT.
- The Buckeyes claimed wins over Bowling Green, West Virginia and Oklahoma State to claim the title that year.