Nov. 18, 2016
Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat
Setting the Scene
- The Buckeyes will finish out the opening homestand on Saturday by hosting NEC foe LIU Brooklyn.
- Tip-off is set for Noon from Value City Arena.
- The Buckeyes have started the year 2-1 with wins over Duquesne and Cleveland State and their lone loss came at the hands of No. 4 South Carolina.
- Kelsey Mitchell has her sights set on the OSU career three-point record as she is just three long balls away from tying Caity Matter’s mark of 270.
- LIU Brooklyn enters the contest at 0-2 on the year following home losses to Army and George Mason. Shanovia Dove has averaged 14.5 ppg in the first two games.
- The game is being streamed online on BTN2Go.
- The game can also be heard on ESPN 1460 AM in the Columbus area and on www.OhioStateBuckeyes.com.
Noting The Buckeyes
- Ohio State is 2-1 on the season and ranked No. 7 in the AP poll and No. 8 in the Coaches Poll.
- Stephanie Mavunga has led the team in rebounding in each of the first three games and has notched a pair of double-doubles.
- The Buckeyes led the Big Ten and were third in the country last season in scoring at 86.0 ppg and are averaging 88.3 points per game over the first two contests.
- Junior Kelsey Mitchell moved into eighth place in school history with 1,838 points in the win over Cleveland State. The Big Ten preseason Player of the Year is 74 points away from tying Tracey Hall for seventh place.
- Mitchell is just five three-point field goals away from tying OSU career three-point record of 270 held by Caity Matter.
- Kevin McGuff is in his fourth season with the Buckeyes and his 15th overall as a head coach. He has a career record of 324-137 (.702) and 69-38 (.645) with the Buckeyes. McGuff led Ohio State back to the NCAA Sweet 16 last season, marking the second NCAA Sweet 16 appearance of his career.
- Before the end of the season, Ohio State has the potential to have four 1,000-point scorers on its roster. In addition to Mitchell, Mavunga is just 62 points away from the mark while Alexa Hart and Shayla Cooper are also within range.
- The Buckeyes played all but two games last season as a top-10 team and have opened this season ranked No. 7 in the AP poll and now No. 8 in the Coaches Poll. Ohio State is 239-49 (.830) all-time as a top-10 ranked team.
Noting LIU Brooklyn
- LIU Brooklyn opened the season with a 68-47 setback at home to Army and then last Tuesday fell by a similar score, 64-48, to George Mason also in Brooklyn.
- The Blackbirds are coming off a 9-21 season and was picked to finish fifth in the NEC.
- Senior Shanovia Dove scored 15.0 points and grabbed 5.2 rebounds per game last season and is off to a similar start this season. Through the first two games, Dove has averaged 14.5 points, 3.0 rebounds and 3.0 three-pointers per game.
- Aja Boyd leads the team in rebounding at 7.0 rpg as well as blocks with four and has scored 19 total points.
- Stephanie Oliver is in her second season at the helm of the program after a successful two-year stint as Seton Hall’s top assistant coach.
Series History vs. LIU Brooklyn
- Saturday’s contest will be the first ever meeting between Ohio State and LIU Brooklyn.
McGuff vs. LIU Brooklyn
- Head coach Kevin McGuff has also never faced LIU Brooklyn before in his coaching tenure.