Dec. 20, 2016
Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat
Setting the Scene
- • Ohio State’s final non-conference tune-up before starting Big Ten play next week is against the Winthrop Eagles this Wednesday.
- Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. from the Value City Arena.
- The Buckeyes had their four-game win streak snapped on Monday by top-ranked UConn 82-63 in Hartford.
- OSU enters the game at 9-4 overall and ranked 12th in the AP poll.
- Winthrop is looking to put an end to a 10-game losing streak on Wednesday. The Eagles won their opener against NC Wesleyan on Nov. 11.
- The game will be streamed live online for a fee on BTN2Go.
- The game can also be heard on ESPN 1460 AM in the Columbus area and on www.OhioStateBuckeyes.com.
Noting The Buckeyes
- Ohio State comes into its final non-conference game with nine wins and four losses. All four losses have come at the hands of top-16 ranked teams.
- OSU is ranked No. 12 in the AP poll and No. 13 in the Coaches Poll.
- Stephanie Mavunga has recorded a team-best five double-doubles in her eight games this season.
- Mavunga scored her 1,000th collegiate point in the game against No. 1 UConn on Dec. 19.
- Junior Kelsey Mitchell became the fastest player in NCAA history to 2,000 career points as she reached the mark in just 79 games.
- Mitchell is in 5th place on the OSU career-scoring chart with 2,057 points.
- Mitchell is also the school’s all-time three-point leader 295 career three-pointers. There are just four players in Big Ten history with 300 or more career three-pointers.
- Freshman Tori McCoy was named the Big Ten and National Freshman of the Week on Dec. 13 after tying the OSU single-game record by going 10-for-10 from the floor vs. Southern and missing just one shot in her first double-double of the season vs. Canisius.
- McCoy has made 28-of-33 shots (84.8 percent) over the last six games.
- Transfer Linnae Harper made her Buckeye debut vs. Alabama State on Dec. 16 and scored 15 points to go along with five rebounds.
- Ohio State had a tremendous second half effort in its win over Cincinnati, limiting UC to just 10 points over the final two quarters and just one point in the fourth. The 10 points were the fewest points allowed in a half since 2012 and the one point was the fewest ever allowed in a quarter.
- After finishing third in the country last season at 86.0 ppg, the Buckeyes are currently fifth in the country in scoring at 88.4 ppg.
- Kevin McGuff is in his fourth season with the Buckeyes and his 15th overall as a head coach. He has a career record of 331-140 (.702) and 76-41 (.650) with the Buckeyes.
- Since winning the season-opener against NC Wesleyan on Nov. 11, the Eagles have lost 10-straight games.
- Last time out, Winthrop fell 71-48 at home to Mercer on Sunday, Dec. 18.
- The Eagles roster features seven true freshmen and sophomores with two other freshman out with injuries.
- Point guard Danyael Goodhope was honored on Monday as the Big South Conference Freshman of the Week. She is coming off a season-high 15-point performance against Mercer and scored 10 points against No. 3 Baylor.
- Erica Williams leads the team in scoring at 14.3 ppg and is second on the team at 5.1 rpg.
- The Eagles are shooting just 35 percent from the floor and 22.7 percent from beyond the arc.
- Kevin Cook, an Ohio native, is in his 5th year as head coach of the Eagles. He has a record of 67-70 at Winthrop.
Series History vs. Winthrop
- Ohio State won the previous two meetings between the two schools.
- A trio of Buckeyes in Tayler Hill (16), Darryce Moore (16) and Ashley Adams (14) scored in double digits in a 78-53 victory at St. John Arena on Nov. 17, 2012.
- The Buckeyes held Winthrop to just 25 second half points in a 68-52 victory at Value City Arena on Dec. 7, 2014.
McGuff vs. Winthrop
- Head coach Kevin McGuff is 2-0 lifetime against the Eagles.
- He knocked-off the Eagles 66-43 while coaching Xavier in the 2008-09 season and then claimed a win in his second season with the Buckeyes in 2014.