Dec. 15, 2016
Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat
SETTING THE SCENE
- Ohio State will close exam week as well as its five-game homestand this Friday when it hosts Alabama State.
- Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. at Value City Arena.
- ASU is the Buckeyes’ second SWAC opponent of the season as they also downed Southern 108-73 on Dec. 7.
- Ohio State has won three-straight games and in all three of those games, all nine Buckeyes that dressed scored at least two points.
- ASU has been off since Dec. 4 when it fell to Troy 95-66. The Hornets are 1-6 on the season with its lone win coming over the University of Mobile on Nov. 18.
- The game will be streamed online on BTN Plus.
- The game can also be heard on ESPN 1460 AM in the Columbus area and on www.OhioStateBuckeyes.com.
NOTING THE BUCKEYES
- Ohio State is riding a three-game winning streak and is 8-3 on the season.
- OSU is ranked No. 12 in the AP poll and No. 13 in the Coaches Poll.
- Junior Kelsey Mitchell became the fastest player in NCAA history to 2,000 career points as she reached the mark in just 79 games.
- Mitchell is in 5th place on the OCU career-scoring chart with 2,019 points.
- Mitchell is also the school’s all-time three-point leader 290 career three-pointers. There are just four players in Big Ten history with 300 or more career three-pointers.
- Freshman Tori McCoy was named the Big Ten and National Freshman of the Week on Dec. 13 after tying the OSU single-game record by going 10-for-10 from the floor vs. Southern and missing just one shot in her first double-double of the season vs. Canisius.
- McCoy has made 22-of-24 shots (91.7 percent) over the last four games.
- Stephanie Mavunga has notched a double-double in three of the six games in which she has played and has been the team’s leading rebounder in four of those games.
- Ohio State had a tremendous second half effort in its win over Cincinnati, limiting UC to just 10 points over the final two quarters and just one point in the fourth. The 10 points were the fewest points allowed in a half since 2012 and the one point was the fewest ever allowed in a quarter.
- The Buckeyes led the Big Ten and were third in the country last season in scoring at 86.0 ppg and is averaging 88.0 points per game this season.
- The Buckeyes were 273rd in the country last year with a -3.5 rebounding margin. So far this year, OSU has a +8.1 margin and is third in the conference in rebounds per game at 46.3.
- Kevin McGuff is in his fourth season with the Buckeyes and his 15th overall as a head coach. He has a career record of 330-139 (.704) and 75-40 (.652) with the Buckeyes.
Noting Alabama State
- Alabama State has opened the season with a record of 1-6 with its lone win coming over Mobile on Nov. 18.
- Ohio State will be the third Power 5 conference opponent for the Hornets who have already lost on the road to North Carolina and Georgia Tech.
- Last time out, ASU fell 95-66 at Troy on Dec. 4.
- Britney Wright is the team’s leading scorer at 14.3 ppg while Daniele Ewert is second at 8.9 points per contest.
- Wright is also the team’s leader on the glass, pulling down 6.3 board per game.
- The Hornets are averaging almost 58 points a game but shooting just 31.8 percent on the season.
- Opponents are shooting under 30 percent against ASU from beyond the three-point arc.
Series History vs. Alabama State
- Friday evening’s game will be the first meeting between Ohio State and Alabama State.
Kevin McGuff vs. Alabama state
- Like the Buckeyes, this will be head coach Kevin McGuff’s first meeting against the Hornets.