Dec. 18, 2016
Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat
No. 12/13 Ohio State at #1/1 UConn
December 19, 2016
XL Center – Hartford, Conn.
CBs Sports Network
Live Stats | Twitter Updates
Ohio State | UConn | Big Ten
Setting the Scene
- Ohio State’s first true road game of the season could not be any tougher as it travels to Hartford, Conn., on Monday to take on the top-ranked Huskies of UConn.
- Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. from the XL Center.
- The Buckeyes have won four-straight games and sit at 9-3 on the season. Ohio State is coming off its best offensive output of the season in a 118-61 rout of Alabama State last Friday.
- UConn is a perfect 9-0 on the season with five of those wins coming over top-15 ranked opponents. The Huskies have been off for nine days since winning at Kansas State 75-58 on Dec. 11.
- The game is being televised by CBS Sports Network. Brent Stover (play-by-play), Debbie Antonelli (analyst) and Allie Laforce (sidelines) will call the action.
- The game can also be heard on ESPN 1460 AM in the Columbus area and on www.OhioStateBuckeyes.com.
Noting The Buckeyes
- Ohio State has won four-straight games, all at home, and come into the game at 9-3 on the season.
- OSU is ranked No. 12 in the AP poll and No. 13 in the Coaches Poll.
- Junior Kelsey Mitchell became the fastest player in NCAA history to 2,000 career points as she reached the mark in just 79 games.
- Mitchell is in 5th place on the OSU career-scoring chart with 2,034 points.
- Mitchell is also the school’s all-time three-point leader 292 career three-pointers. There are just four players in Big Ten history with 300 or more career three-pointers.
- Freshman Tori McCoy was named the Big Ten and National Freshman of the Week on Dec. 13 after tying the OSU single-game record by going 10-for-10 from the floor vs. Southern and missing just one shot in her first double-double of the season vs. Canisius.
- McCoy has made 27-of-31 shots (87.1 percent) over the last five games.
- Stephanie Mavunga has notched a double-double in four of the seven games in which she has played and has been the team’s leading rebounder in five of those games.
- Transfer Linnae Harper made her Buckeye debut vs. Alabama State on Dec. 16 and scored 15 points to go along with five rebounds.
- Ohio State had a tremendous second half effort in its win over Cincinnati, limiting UC to just 10 points over the final two quarters and just one point in the fourth. The 10 points were the fewest points allowed in a half since 2012 and the one point was the fewest ever allowed in a quarter.
- The Buckeyes led the Big Ten and were third in the country last season in scoring at 86.0 ppg and is averaging 90.5 points per game this season.
- Kevin McGuff is in his fourth season with the Buckeyes and his 15th overall as a head coach. He has a career record of 331-139 (.704) and 76-40 (.655) with the Buckeyes.
- The Huskies are the No. 1 ranked team in the country and are a perfect 9-0 on the season.
- UConn is riding an 84-game win streak dating back to the second game of the 2014-15 season.
- Five of the Huskies nine wins this season have come against top-15 ranked teams.
- Four Huskies are averaging in double-figures led by Katie Lou Samuelson at 19.8 and Napheesa Collier at 19.4 ppg.
- Kia Nurse is averaging a team-high 34.1 minutes per game and is scoring 13.1 points per contest.
- Gabby Williams leads the team in rebounding and assists and is the fourth Huskie in double figures at nearly 11 points per game.
- UConn is scoring 79.3 points per game and yet is outscoring its opponents by over an average of 21 points per game.
- The Huskies average 21.2 assists per game which is fourth-best in the country.
Series History vs. UConn
- Monday’s game will be the fourth meeting between the two schools.
- Connecticut has won all three previous games in the series.
- This will be the four-straight meeting that the Huskies have been ranked No. 1 at the time of the game.
- The Buckeyes were ranked No. 13/10 at the time of the game in 2010 and No. 7/10 for last year’s game in Columbus.
- The team’s first meeting came in 2010 at the famed Madison Square Garden where UConn came away with an 81-50 victory.
McGuff vs. uconn
- Head coach Kevin McGuff is 0-2 lifetime against the Huskies.
- He and the Buckeyes fell to UConn in 2013 and then against at home last season.
Buckeyes Against No. 1
- Ohio State has an all-time record of 2-16 against AP No. 1 ranked teams.
- Both of the Buckeyes’ wins came during the 1987-88 season when they rolled past No. 1 Texas 88-58 at home on Jan. 2, 1988 and then later topped No. 1 Iowa 58-54 at home on Feb. 26, 1988.
- All three previous times the Buckeyes have faced UConn, the Huskies have been ranked No. 1.
- The three meetings with top-ranked UConn are the Buckeyes’ last three games against No. 1-ranked teams.
- Prior to the 2010 meeting with No. 1 Connecticut, the last time Ohio State faced a No. 1-ranked team was in the 1999 Big Ten Tournament in a 72-59 loss to No. 1 Purdue.
BUCKEYES AGAINST THE TOP-5
- The Buckeyes are 11-53 all-time against teams ranked in the AP Top-5.
- Ohio State knocked-off No. 5 Maryland two times last season.
- Before the wins over Maryland, the most recent win over a top-5 team with a 74-67 win over No. 3 Oklahoma on Dec. 20, 2006 in Norman.
- That win was the Buckeyes’ lone win over a team ranked No. 3 in the polls. Ohio State is 1-8 all-time against teams ranked No. 3.
- The Buckeyes have knocked-off a No. 1-ranked team two times and both came during the 1987-88 season.
Wins over the top-10
- The Buckeyes have 28 wins all-time against teams ranked in the AP top-10 and 31 wins overall against the top-10 when factoring in the Coaches Poll.
- Ohio State notched three victories last season over teams ranked in the top-10.
- The first was a 95-80 victory over No. 10/9 Texas A&M on Nov. 28, 2015 at the South Point Shootout and the next two were the regular season meetings against No. 5 Maryland both home and away.
- The last win over a top-10 opponent before last year was a 54-53 victory at No. 10/8 Michigan State on Feb. 24, 2011.