Dec. 6, 2016
Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat
Setting the Scene
- The Buckeyes play the middle game of their five-game homestand on Wednesday when they host SWAC-foe Southern.
- The game will tipoff at 7 p.m. at Value City Arena.
- The teams are meeting for the fourth time in Columbus since the 2007 season.
- Ohio State rebounded from back-to-back losses with a resounding 80-38 victory over in-state rival Cincinnati last Sunday and is now 6-3 on the season.
- Southern has played just four games so far this season and come in with a record of 2-2. The Jaguars have wins over Spring Hill and Bethune Cookman and losses to UCLA and Michigan State.
- The game will be streamed online on BTN Plus.
- The game can also be heard on ESPN 1460 AM in the Columbus area and on www.OhioStateBuckeyes.com.
Noting The Buckeyes
- Ohio State is 6-3 on the season after snapping a two-game losing streak with a resounding 80-38 win over Cincinnati last time out.
- OSU is ranked No. 12 in both the AP poll and the Coaches Poll.
- Junior Kelsey Mitchell is just 23 points away from 2,000 in her career. She would be the seventh Buckeye to reach that mark.
- Mitchell has played in 78 career games. If she reaches the 2,000-point mark in the next four games, she will become the fastest player in NCAA history to 2,000 career points.
- Mitchell is also the school’s all-time three-point leader 282 career three-pointers. There are just four players in Big Ten history with 300 or more career three-pointers.
- Freshman guard Kiara Lewis has made an impact early in her first season. She is averaging 7.8 points per game and has scored 10 or more in four of the nine eight games.
- Stephanie Mavunga has notched a double-double in three of the six games in which she has played and has been the team’s leading rebounder in four of those games.
- Ohio State had a tremendous second half effort in its win over Cincinnati, limiting UC to just 10 points over the final two quarters and just one point in the fourth. The 10 points were the fewest points allowed in a half since 2012 and the one point was the fewest ever allowed in a quarter.
- The Buckeyes led the Big Ten and were third in the country last season in scoring at 86.0 ppg and is averaging 85.7 points per game this season.
- The Buckeyes were 273rd in the country last year with a -3.5 rebounding margin. So far this year, OSU has a +8.1 margin and is second in the conference in rebounds per game at 46.8.
- Kevin McGuff is in his fourth season with the Buckeyes and his 15th overall as a head coach. He has a career record of 328-139 (.702) and 73-40 (.646) with the Buckeyes.
- Southern has started the season at 2-2 overall with wins over Spring Hill and Bethune Cookman.
- The Jaguars losses have come at the hands of two ranked teams in Michigan State and UCLA.
- Briana Green tops the team with 12.0 ppg and has a team-high 11 assists and 15 steals.
- Cortnei Purnell is the team’s leading rebounder at 5.8 rpg while also scoring 11.8 points per contest.
- The Jaguars are not the best rebounding team as they have been outrebounded in their first four games by an average of 11.0 rebounds per game.
- Southern is led by Sandy Pugh who is in her 16th season as head coach at Southern. She has led the program to its only four NCAA Tournament appearances and three WNIT appearances.
Series History vs. Southern
- Ohio State and Southern have met three times previously and all since 2007.
- The Buckeyes have won all three meetings by an average of over 32 points.
- This will be the fourth-straight time the teams have played in Columbus.
- The most recent meeting was a 73-50 OSU victory on Dec. 21, 2012.
Kevin McGuff vs. Southern
- Head coach Kevin McGuff is 1-0 all-time against Southern.
- After the Jaguars traveled to Ohio State in 2011, they made their way to Seattle, Wash., to face McGuff and his Huskies on Dec. 20, 2011.
- Washington won that meeting 64-56.