Feb. 1, 2016
#7/7 Ohio State at Illinois
Date: February 1, 2016 | Time: 7:00 p.m. | Venue: State Farm Center | Location: Evanston, Ill.
Radio: 1460 AM
Online Coverage: Game Notes | Watch Live | Live Stats | Twitter Updates |
Setting The Scene
- Ohio State seeks to avenge a loss last year in Champaign when the Buckeyes and Illini tangle Monday evening.
- Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET from the State Farm Center.
- The Buckeyes have won four-straight games and enter Monday’s contest with a 16-4 record overall and an 8-1 mark in the conference. Ohio State currently resides in the top spot in the Big Ten.
- Illinois has won just one of its last 12 games and enters Monday with an 8-12 overall mark and a 1-8 record in conference play.
- The game will be televised on the Big Ten Network. Mike Wolf and Vera Jones will have the call.
- The game can also be heard on ESPN 1460 AM in the Columbus area and on www.OhioStateBuckeyes.com.
Noting The Buckeyes
- The Buckeyes are second in the conference and are fourth in the country in scoring at 85.3 ppg.
- Ohio State is ranked 7th in both the AP poll and coaches polls.
- The Buckeyes have made 49 three-point field goals in the last five games.
- Ohio State grabbed 50 rebounds against Indiana on Jan. 7, marking the first 50-rebound game for the team since Dec. 14, 2010.
- The Buckeyes have won 10-straight home games.
- Alexa Hart is shooting 72.5 percent (79-of-109) from the floor over the last 13 games.
- Since the start of conference play, Hart leads the conference in shooting percentage at 70.1.
- Senior Ameryst Alston and sophomore Kelsey Mitchell were each named to the Mid-season Wooden Top 20 and the preseason Naismith Award Watch Lists.
- Mtichell was also named to the Ann Meyers Drysdale Midseason watch list.
- Mitchell is third in the country at 25.3 ppg and Alston is 57th at 18.0 ppg.
- Mitchell has made 24 three-point FGs in the last five games.
- When Mitchell and Alston each score 20 points in a game, the Buckeyes are 19-3, including 9-1 this season.
- Alston is 6th in school history with 1,921 career points. She is 79 points away from away from 2,000 in her career.
- In just over a season and a half, Mitchell is already 19th on OSU’s career scoring chart at 1,379 points.
- The Buckeyes had their school-record streak of 11-straight games of 80 or more points stopped at Rutgers on Jan. 24.
- The Buckeyes have faced five top-10 teams already this season, including all four of last year’s Final Four teams.
- Illinois stormed out of the gate and won seven of its first eight games.
- But over the last 12 games, the Illini have just one win and come into Monday’s game with an 8-12 record overall and a 1-8 mark in the conference.
- Illinois’ one win in conference play came at home over Wisconsin on Jan. 17.
- Four players average in double-figures for the Illini led by center Chatrice White. White is nearly averaging a double-double at 16.9 points and 9.9 rebounds per game.
- White has also blocked a team-high 45 shots and is second on the team with 31 steals.
- Cierra Rice is second on the team in scoring at 13.6 ppg while Kyley Simmons is scoring 12.0 ppg while topping the team with 70 assists.
- Alex Wittinger is the fourth player in double figures at 10.2 ppg as she’s just behind White in both rebounds (6.2 rpg) and blocks (33).
- The Illini are last in the conference in rebounding margin at -4.0 but are right there with the Buckeyes in third in three-pointers per game at 7.5.
Series History vs. Illinois
- The Buckeyes lead the all-time series with Illinois 46-20.
- Ohio State has won 10 of the last 13 meetings in the series.
- The Buckeyes dominated the series in the 80s, winning 15-straight from 1982-89.
- Illinois enjoyed its best run of success against the Buckeyes in the late 90s and early 2000s, winning 9 of 10 contests.
- The Buckeyes are 16-14 in games played in Champaign but lost the most recent meeting last year 66-55 on Feb. 14, 2015.
McGuff vs. Illinois
- Head coach Kevin McGuff is 1-1 against the Illini, winning in Columbus in 2014 and losing in Champaign last year.
Last Year vs. Illinois
- Nothing came easy for Ohio State as it fell on the road to Illinois 66-55 at the State Farm Center on Feb. 14, 2015.
- Ameryst Alston led the Buckeyes with 20 points while Kelsey Mitchell chipped-in with 19 points.
- Alexa Hart grabbed a team-high 11 rebounds and scored eight points.
- For Illinois, four players scored in double-figures led by Ivory Crawford’s 18 points.
- Chatrice White finished with a double-double down low of 13 points and 12 rebounds.
- The Buckeyes shot just 36 percent from the floor and committed 19 turnovers which led to 23 UI points.
- The other glaring stat was the Illini led 40-31 on the boards and converted 12 offensive rebounds into 12 points. OSU had just three second chance points.
- The first half was a push and pull battle. Both teams went on 7-0 runs and led by as many as five points at one point. The Buckeyes would have the last run and led 30-29 at the break.
- Alston was the only Buckeye who enjoyed her opening 20 minutes as she was 6-of-10 from the floor for 14 points.
- The second half started-out good for the Buckeyes as Mitchell scored five-straight points to put OSU in front 35-29.
- Illinois then turned the tables with a 16-4 run over the next four minutes to take a 45-39 lead with 14:49 to play and the Illini wouldn’t give up the lead the rest of the way.
- The Buckeyes did get as close as one point at 54-53 on a Mitchell jumper with 6:03 to play but that would be the Buckeyes’ last field goal of the contest. Illinois scored the final 12 points to walk away down the stretch.