Dec. 10, 2015
#10/13 Ohio State vs. NC A&T
Date: December 13, 2015 | Time: 2:00 p.m. | Venue: Value City Arena | Location: Columbus, Ohio
Radio: 1460 AM
Online Coverage: Game Notes | Watch Live | Live Stats | Twitter Updates |
Setting the Scene
- After playing four-straight games away from Columbus, the Buckeyes open a four-game homestand this Sunday when they host MEAC-foe NC A&T.
- Tip-off is set for 2 p.m. ET from Value City Arena.
- Ohio State comes into the game with a 5-3 record overall after racing past in-state rival Cincinnati last Sunday.
- NC A&T enters the game after splitting a pair of MEAC contests last week. The Aggies are 3-5 overall and 1-1 in conference action.
- The game will be streamed online on BTN Plus. Geoff Hammersly and George Reese will have the call.
- The games can also be heard on ESPN 1460 AM in the Columbus area and on www.OhioStateBuckeyes.com.
Noting The Buckeyes
- The Buckeyes had a season-best six players score in double-figures in the win at Cincinnati on Dec. 6.
- Sophomore Kelsey Mitchell became the quickest Big Ten player to reach 1,000 career points as she hit the mark in her 41st game.
- Forward Alexa Hart has blocked at least one shot in 28-straight games. Hart swatted a single-season school record 129 shots last season.
- Shayla Cooper has a pair of double-doubles on the year as well as a pair of games with 15 rebounds.
- Ohio State has shot 50 percent or better from the floor in four of the last five games.
- The Buckeyes have faced four top-10 teams already this season, including teams 1, 2 and 3.
- Ohio State was the first team in NCAA history to open a season against the top two ranked teams in the country.
- Senior Ameryst Alston and sophomore Kelsey Mitchell were each named to the preseason Wooden Award Watch List.
NC A&T Snapshot
- The Aggies enter Sunday’s game with a record of 3-5 overall and a 1-1 in the MEAC.
- Last weekend, NC A&T opened MEAC play with a win over Howard and a 56-50 loss to UMES.
- Aprill McRae and Dana Brown are each averaging 11 points per game for the Aggies who are scoring 60.8 points per contest as a team.
- A&T is also out-rebounding its opponents on the season thanks in large part to McRae who is pulling down 7.4 rebounds per game.
- Guard Christina Carter is averaging better than seven points, four rebounds and four assists per game through the first eight games.
- Ohio State is the only team from a power five conference on the Aggies schedule this season.
Series History vs. NC A&T
- Sunday’s game between Ohio State and NC A&T will be the first meeting between the two teams.
McGuff vs. NC A&T
- This will be Kevin McGuff’s first game against NC A&T.
Buckeyes vs. The MEAC
- Ohio State is a perfect 8-0 all-time against teams from the Mid-Atlantic Athletic Conference.
- Seven of those eight games were played in Columbus with the lone game away from home being a 1997 contest against Howard which was played in Oakland, Calif. as part of the Oakland Classic.
- The Buckeyes have outscored their MEAC foes by 229 points in those eight games for an average of 28.6 ppg.
- The most recent meeting against the MEAC came in McGuff’s first year on Dec. 29, 2013. The Buckeyes downed NC Central 65-47 in Columbus.
Finding The Right Person
- Senior guard Ameryst Alston has dished-out nearly 5.5 assists per game over the last three games.
- She had a season-high nine assists in the win over Cincinnati.
- Her 17 assists in the last three games have led to 37 points. Coupled with the 50 points she has scored herself over that stretch, Alston has had a hand in nearly a third of the Buckeyes scoring in the last three contests.
- Alston has dished-out a team-leading 31 assists on the season.