No. 9/12 Ohio State 74, No. 11/11 Michigan State 67
Feb. 21, 2010
East Lansing, Mich.
- The Buckeyes are now tied for second in the Big Ten with Michigan State (11-4), a half-game behind Purdue (11-3).
- Michigan State leads the all-time series with Ohio State 58-50 and is 36-16 in East Lansing vs. the Buckeyes.
- The Buckeyes are 19-8 vs. Michigan State when Ohio State carries an Associated Press Top 25 ranking into the game. MSU is 15-7 vs. ranked Ohio State teams. When both squads are ranked, Ohio State is 4-4 vs. the Spartans.
- The Buckeyes are 134-220 all-time vs. opponents ranked among the AP Top 25, including a 5-5 mark this season.
- When a ranked Ohio State team takes on a ranked opponent, the Buckeyes are 54-45 all-time. OSU is 232-54 all-time when ranked in the Top 10.
- The Buckeyes led by 13 points at the half (39-26). They are 19-3 this season when leading at the break and 124-18 under head coach Thad Matta.
- Ohio State led 61-60 at the 5:00 mark. It is now 19-0 when leading with five minutes remaining this season and 133-5 under Matta. Michigan State took its first lead since 11:33 of the first half at 4:01 (62-61), but a 7-0 Buckeye run put OSU back on top.
- The Buckeyes were a combined 6-of-8 from the free-throw line in the final two minutes of the game.
- Thad Matta’s record is now 250-84 in his 10th season all-time as a head coach. He is 148-53 in his sixth year at Ohio State.
- Matta’s .735 winning percentage over 200 games is tied with Fred Taylor for the best in OSU history.
- Matta is 65-33 (.660) in Big Ten games, also the highest percentage all-time at Ohio State.
- Under Matta, Ohio State is now 26-33 against ranked opponents and 5-5 this season.
- After starting 0-for-4 from the field, Turner finished with 20 points, including 16 in the second half.
- He now has 1,314 points for his career, passing Jamar Butler for No. 23 all-time (1,313).
- With Turner’s 10 rebounds, he now has 602 for his career. He passed Michael Redd and Larry Huston on the career rebounds list (tied with 593) to take over the No. 17 spot all-time.
- With the 20 points and 10 rebounds, he earned his 23rd career double-double. The Buckeyes are 16-7 in those contests. An OSU player has recorded a double-double in 801 games with the team holding a 544-257 (.679) record in those contests.
- Sunday marked the 22nd career game with 20 or more points for Turner.
- Buford, too, finished the day with a double-double, his third of the season (and career). He had 17 points and 10 rebounds.
- Ohio State is 128-51 when two players record a double-double in the same game. Evan Turner (20/10) and Buford (17/10) accomplished the feat vs. MSU. Jamar Butler (11 asts./10 rebs.) and Kosta Koufos (17 pts./12 rebs.) are the last tandem to do so in game vs. Northwestern (1/6/08). Ohio State won that game 62-51.
- Buford led the Buckeyes in scoring with 14.0 ppg in three previous meetings with the Spartans. He topped that with 17.
- Diebler has made 227 career 3-pointers to rank No. 2 all-time at Ohio State behind Jamar Butler’s 242 career makes.
- Diebler has hit at least one 3 in 37 of last 38 games (minus Iowa, 1/27/10).
- Lauderdale finished the day with 8 points, including six of the Buckeyes’ first 10 over the opening 4:32.