Nov. 17, 2016
Ohio State 72 (3-0, 0-0 B1G), Providence 67 (1-1, 0-0 Big East)
Nov. 17, 2016
Value City Arena – Columbus, Ohio
• The matchup marked the second meeting between the Buckeyes and the Friars, the Buckeyes are 2-0 against Providence all-time.
• The Buckeyes last meeting against Providence was an 84-83 Buckeyes overtime victory March 15, 1990.
• Ohio State is 65-29 against teams that currently make up the Big East Conference.
• The Buckeyes’ last game against a Big East opponent was Nov. 18, 2014 when they defeated Marquette 74-63.
• The Buckeyes have started the season 3-0 for the first time since 2014.
• Providence made 10 3-pointers on the night (10-26); Ohio State is 48-20 in contests when its opponent makes 10 or more 3-pointers under Thad Matta.
• The Buckeyes forced only three Providence turnovers in the contest; the Buckeyes are now 12-3 in games in which they force six or fewer turnovers in Thad Matta era.
• Ohio State outscored Providence 42-20 in the paint.
• Thad Matta is 323-108 (.749) during his career at Ohio State and 425-139 (.753) overall as a head coach.
• Matta now is 181-7 (.962) in Columbus vs. unranked opponents, with only four losses to non-conference opponents in his 13 seasons.
• Matta coached teams are 283-17 when leading by 10 or more points at any point in a game.
• When leading with five minutes to go, Thad Matta coached Ohio State teams are now 300-14 and 3-0 this season.
• Matta is 263-29 (.901) all-time when his team leads at half and 3-0 on the season.
• With Matta at the helm, Ohio State is 59-9 (.868) in the month of November.
• The Buckeyes are 269-42 (.865) against unranked opponents under Matta.
• Ohio State is now 204-27 when outrebounding opponents under Matta and 2-0 on the season (43-33).
• The Buckeyes are 204-25 at home during the Matta era, the most home wins nationally (2005-present).
• JaQuan Lyle paced the Buckeyes in the scoring column posting 21 points while also dishing out a team-high seven assists and grabbing eight rebounds.
• Lyle recorded his first double-digit scoring game of the season after reaching double-digits in 20 games in the 2015-16 season.
• Trevor Thompson put up seasons highs in points and rebounds, recording 12 points and nine rebounds coming off the bench for the Buckeyes.
• This was Thompson’s second double-digit scoring performance of the season after scoring 11 points at Navy in the team’s opener Nov. 11.
• Jae’Sean Tate scored 14 points while adding six rebounds and one steal in the contest.
• Marc Loving led the Buckeyes in rebounds, pulling down 10 boards while also scoring eight points with three assists and two blocks.
• With eight points, Loving is 31 points away from the 1,000-point mark for his career.