Dec. 10, 2016
Ohio State 64 (8-2, 0-0 B1G), University of Connecticut 60 (4-5, 0-0 American)
Dec. 10, 2016
Value City Arena – Columbus, Ohio
Ohio State travels to Las Vegas to take on No. 2 UCLA in the CBSSports Classic at T-Mobile Arena Dec. 17. Game time is 3 p.m. ET.
- This was the sixth meeting between Ohio State and UConn.
- The Buckeyes are now 4-2 all-time against UConn.
- The Buckeyes are 23-12 all-time against the teams that currently make up the American Athletic Conference.
- The Buckeyes trailed at half for the first time this season.
- The Buckeyes scored 17 points off 16 Huskie turnovers.
- Ohio State set season highs in free throws attempted (34) and made (26).
- Ohio State is now 3-1 this season in games in which they score less than 70 points.
- UConn attempted a season low nine free throws in the contest.
- The last time Ohio State won a game while shooting less than 35 percent from the field was a 67-61 overtime victory over Northwestern (19-59/.322) March 11, 2011.
- The Buckeyes were 26 of 34 from the FT line (.765) vs. UConn … the last time OSU made 25 or more FTs was vs. Penn State March 10, 2016 (26-39).
- Ohio State is 63-3 in Matta era when making 20 or more free throws.
- Ohio State is 40-0 in Matta era when attempting 30 or more free throws
- Ohio State is 191-31 in Matta era when opponents make less than 10 free throws (UConn-5)
- Ohio State is 107-11 in Matta era when opponents take less than 10 free throws (UConn-9)
- Ohio State is 147-19 in Matta era when opponents are credited with 10 or fewer assists (UConn-10)
- Ohio State is 117-21 in Matta era when opponents are called for 20 or more fouls (UConn-27)
- Ohio State is 186-38 in Matta era when opponents record fewer than five steals (UConn-1)
- Ohio State is 57-8 in Matta era when opponents fail to block a shot vs. the Buckeyes
- When leading with five minutes to go, Thad Matta coached teams are now 305-16 all-time and 8-2 this season.
- The Buckeyes are 208-28 when outrebounding their opponent under Matta and 6-1 this season.
- With Matta at the helm, Ohio State is 78-15 (.839) in the Month of December.
- This is the 18th game in which a Matta coached team has shot 34 percent or less from the field.
- Matta coached teams are 4-14 in games in which they shoot 34 percent or less from the field.
- Thompson recorded his second double-double of the season scoring 17 points and grabbing 17.
- He set career highs for points and rebounds in the contest.
- Has scored in double figures three straight games.
- The last Buckeye to reach 15 or more rebounds in a game was LaQuinton Ross (15) vs. Nebraska (3/14/14).
- Lyle racked up 16 points, three assists, four rebounds and four steals in the contest.
- His four steals were a career high.
- Tate tallied 13 points, three rebounds and an assist in the contest.
He has now scored in double figures in nine of 10 games this season.