Feb. 23, 2016
Ohio State 62 (18-11, 10-6 B1G), No. 6 Michigan State 81 (23-5, 10-5 B1G)
Feb. 23, 2016
Value City Arena – Columbus, Ohio
- This is the 120th meeting between the Buckeyes and the Spartans. Ohio State is 55-65 in the series, 35-23 in Columbus.
- Seven of the last ten games in the series have been decided by four or fewer points.
- Ohio State is participating in its 104th season as a member of the Big Ten Conference. The Buckeyes have an overall record of 793-699 against the current alignment of the conference.
- This is Ohio State’s fifth matchup against an AP Top 10 team this season (Virginia, Kentucky, Maryland (2)). Ohio State is 1-4 in those games.
- Ohio State has played three of the 2015 Final Four teams this season. Ohio State is 1-2 in these games with a win vs. Kentucky Dec. 19, 2015 in Brooklyn, New York, a loss at Wisconsin and Michigan State at home.
- Ohio State went 19-21 (.905) from the free throw line, shooting their highest percentage for the year. The previous season high was when the Buckeyes went 10-12 (.833) at UConn on Dec. 12, 2015.
- The Buckeyes’ 90.5 free throw percentage is the highest since the Buckeyes shot 20-22 (.909) in a 97-55 win on Dec. 17, 2014 over North Carolina A&T.
- Ohio State made 18 straight free throws. They made the last six of the first half and the first 12 of the second half.
- The Buckeyes allowed the Spartans to shoot 14-22 (.636) from the three-point line. This is the most made three-pointers and the highest three-point percentage the Buckeyes have allowed all season.
- Michigan State’s Bryn Forbes made seven three-pointers in the game, the most allowed by Ohio State this season.
- Matta is 317-105 during his career at Ohio State and 419-136 overall as a head coach.
- Matta is 11-13 vs. the Spartans, including a 5-4 home record.
- The Buckeyes are 142-66 in Big Ten regular season play under Matta.
- In 16 seasons as a head coach Matta is 167-76 overall vs. the Big Ten including a mark of 164-73 while coaching the Buckeyes.
- With Matta at the helm Ohio State is 57-29 in the month of February.
- Loving scored a team-high 19 points.
- Loving went a perfect 10-10 for the free throw line, the best by a Buckeye all season (min 8 made).
- Loving’s perfect 10-10 (1.000) free throw percentage is the highest in Value City Arena history (10 attempted). The previous high was Evan Turner’s 12-13 (.923) vs. Michigan on Jan. 28, 2009.
- Lyle scored 16 points to go along with five rebounds and a team-high two assists.
- Lyle scored his 300th point as a Buckeye and now has 304 points in his career.
- Thompson scored 9 points and grabbed a pair of rebounds.
- Bates-Diop scored eight points and grabbed a team-high nine rebounds.
- Williams scored eight points on 3-4 shooting, going 2-3 from three-point range.
- Williams has recorded a three-pointer in 19 of Ohio State’s 29 games this season.