Feb. 9, 2007
Recap | Box Score
– Ohio State is 6-2 in season openers this decade.
– In their first collegiate game, OSU freshmen Whitney Cooper (ss) and Sam Marder (dp) were in the starting lineup for the Buckeyes, joining current Ohio State players Courtney Pruner, Megan Schwab, Nycole Koyano and Jamee Juarez who started as freshmen in season openers.
– The only two Lobos to reach base during the first four innings were then thrown out on the base paths, with OSU senior catcher Lauren Daykin (Melbourne, Australia/Manatee C.C., Fla.) playing a role in both plays. She threw out one runner stealing and another UNM base stealer was successful, but then thrown out attempting to advance another base.
– In Ohio State’s last two season-openers, Liz Caputo is 6-for-6 at the plate. She went 4-for-4 at New Mexico State in the Buckeyes’ 2006 season opener and went 2-for-2 Friday against New Mexico.
– Ohio State is now 1-2 all-time against New Mexico. These two teams had last met in 1997 in Las Cruces, N.M.
– Despite being a southern school, New Mexico will not play its home opener until March 17, the same day as Ohio State in Columbus. The Lobos have eight starters back from their 2006 team that went 23-31.
– Other OSU rookies who made their debut for the Buckeyes Friday include Megan Miller (save), Leah Ledford (pinch-runner) and Michelle Reynolds-Parra (pinch-runner).
### GO BUCKS! ###