No. 4/5 Ohio State 102, North Carolina A&T 61
November 12, 2010
Columbus, Ohio (Value City Arena)
- The Buckeyes are 90-18 in home openers and 86-22 in season openers all-time after defeating UNC A&T, 102-61.
- Thad Matta now owns a record of 11-0 in season openers as a head coach. He was 1-0 at Butler, 3-0 at Xavier and is 7-0 at Ohio State.
- Matta improved his career record to 259-53 overall and 157-54 at Ohio State
- Ohio State is now 2-0 vs. North Carolina A&T and is a combined 15-0 all-time vs. members of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference. The only previous meeting between the Buckeyes and Aggies took place Jan. 2, 1994 in Columbus, a 93-58 Ohio State victory. Ohio State last played a member of the MEAC a season ago vs. Delaware State. The Buckeyes won that game 60-44 at Value City Arena Dec. 19, 2009. Ohio State has faced all but two current members of the MEAC.
- With the win, Ohio State is 27-6 in November under Coach Matta.
- Matta is now 131-20 overall vs. unranked opponents and 88-2 at home.
- Ohio State is now 124-23 (.843) overall at Value City Arena.
- Against non-conference opponents, Ohio State is 70-5 (.933) at Value City Arena.
- Attendance for the game against UNC A&T at Value City Arena was 13,302.
- Ohio State is 68-1 all time in games in which they score 100 points or more.
- Ohio State was won 79 of their last 80 games against unranked teams in Columbus.
- Ohio State has had a player record a double-double (10+ points, rebounds, assists, steals or blocks) in 807 games. The Buckeyes are 550-257 in those contests (.682).
- Jared Sullinger made his first career start as a true freshman for the Buckeyes. This is the first time a true freshman has started since Jon Diebler and Kosta Koufos both started the 2007-08 season opener.
- Sullinger also is the first true freshman to start and earn a double-double in his first game as Buckeye since Herb Williams on 11/25/77. Sullinger finished the contest with 19 points and 14 rebounds. Williams had 34 points and 10 rebounds vs. Cal Hayward.
- Junior Jon Diebler made three 3-pointers pushing his Ohio State career record to 263. He leads No. 2 Jamar Butler, who was at the game.
- With three 3-pointers, Diebler extends his streak to 17 games with at least one 3-pointer made.
- William Buford has scored double figures in 12 out of his last 13 games dating back to 2/13/10 at Illinois. He finished with 11 points, 7 rebounds and 4 assists.
- Dallas Lauderdale had 13 rebounds, the most in his career on his way to his first career double-double (12 points). It was also his third career game with 10 or more rebounds.
- Lauderdale also tied his career high with 8 blocks. The last time he had 8 was 3/19/10 vs. UC Santa Barbara.
- Six freshmen made their collegiate debut in win vs. North Carolina A&T (Sullinger, DeShaun Thomas, Jordan Sibert, Aaron Craft, Lenzelle Smith, Jr. and J.D. Weatherspoon).
- DeShaun Thomas was the first freshman to score for Ohio State in the game, and paced all Buckeyes with 24 points. Thomas also had 8 rebounds.
- Aaron Craft led the Buckeyes with 9 assists without turning the ball over.
- Ohio State outrebounded UNC A&T 60-22 (30 each on offense and defense).
- 24 of Ohio State’s 37 field goals were assisted.
- The Buckeyes boasted both a 17-4 and a 19-4 run in the first half for Ohio State on their way to a 52-25 halftime lead.
- Ohio State ended first half on 18-6 run from 34-19 to 52-25 over final 4:43.
- This was the first game that six true freshmen have played for Ohio State since 12/2/06 when five played (Greg Oden, Daequan Cook, David Lighty, Mike Conley Jr., Mark Titus).
- All six freshmen scored for Ohio State and had 59 percent of all scoring (Thomas – 24, Sullinger – 19, Craft – 8, Sibert – 4, Weatherspoon – 3, Smith, Jr. – 2).
- The last home win with two double-doubles was 1/6/08 when Jamar Butler and Kosta Koufos each had one.