No. 4/5 Ohio State (3-0) 81, UNC Wilmington 41 (2-2)
Value City Arena – Columbus, Ohio
November 20, 2010
- Ohio State’s four returning starters have combined for 305 career starts and 410 games played.
- Ohio State moved to 125-23 (.845) at Value City Arena, improving to 71-5 vs. non-conference opponents.
- As a ranked team, Ohio State is 363-105 all-time.
- All six freshmen scored for the second time this season (Thomas-17, Sibert-11, Sullinger-11, Craft-3, Weatherspoon-2, Smith, Jr.-2).
- Ohio State started the game on a 14-2 run during the first 6:57, not allowing UNC Wilmington to score its first field goal until 15:11 in the first half.
- When ranked among the Top 10 nationally, Ohio State is 243-56 with wins in 34 of the last 36 outings.
- Ohio State held UNC Wilmington to 27 percent shooting in the first half allowing only 16 points, the fewest since Ohio State gave up 15 vs. Northwestern (3/8/09).
- Ohio State freshmen have accounted for 51 percent of total scoring for the season, including 57 percent Saturday vs. UNC Wilmington.
- UNC Wilmington’s 41 points is the fewest points allowed since 11/29/08, when Samford only scored 22 vs. Ohio State
- Attendance for the game against UNC Wilmington was 11,882.
- Thad Matta improved his career record to 261-53 overall and 159-54 at Ohio State.
- Matta is 80-17 vs. non-conference competition at Ohio State and 79-37 vs. Big Ten foes (regular season and Big Ten tournament games) for an overall record of 159-54. He is also 101-10 in Columbus.
- During Matta’s tenure at Ohio State, the Buckeyes are 145-5 when leading with five minutes to play. The Buckeyes are 144-17 when shooting better than the opponent and 107-11 when scoring 70 or more points.
- With the win, Ohio State is 29-6 in November under Coach Matta.
- Matta is now 1-0 vs. UNC Wilmington and Ohio State is 10-2 vs. teams from the CAA (Colonial Athletic Association).
- Ohio State has made 10 or more 3-pointers in a game 68 times since the shot was instituted in the 1986-87 season.
- The Buckeyes are 57-11 in those games after knocking down 10-of-29 vs. UNC Wilmington. Matta’s Ohio State teams
are 42-9 when making 10 or more 3s in a game.
- Senior Jon Diebler made three 3-pointers pushing his Ohio State career record to 270.
- With three 3-pointers, Diebler extends his streak to 19 games with at least one 3-pointer made.
- With 9 points, Diebler now has 1,100 career points, which is tied for 37th all-time at Ohio State.
- William Buford has scored double figures in 14 of his last 15 games dating back to 2/13/10 at Illinois. He finished with 12 points, 6 rebounds and 5 assists vs. the Seahawks.
- Lighty’s career total of 1,058 is good for the No. 41 spot all-time in OSU history. He finished with 10 points, 3 rebounds and 2 assists vs. UNC Wilmington.
- Dallas Lauderdale recorded 5 blocks, passing Jim Smith (1978-81) for fourth place all-time with 173 in his career.
- Lauderdale also had 10 rebounds. He has had at least 10 rebounds in 2 of the 3 games this season.
- Freshman Deshaun Thomas scored in double-figures for the second time this season. He led the Buckeyes with 17 points. He also grabbed seven rebounds in the contest against the Seahawks.
- Freshman Jordan Sibert had a career-high 11 points (3-5 3FG).