No. 14 Ohio State 64 (21-5, 12-1 B1G), No. 3 Purdue 63 (23-3, 12-1 B1G)
Feb. 7, 2018
Mackey Arena – West Lafayette, Ind.
- The game marked the 170th meeting between Ohio State and Purdue.
- The Buckeyes trail the series 86-84 all-time against the Boilermakers.
- Ohio State is 7-3 against Purdue when both teams enter the game ranked in the Top 25.
- The Buckeyes won their first game against Purdue since March 1, 2015 when they beat the Boilermakers 65-61 in Columbus.
- Ohio Sate won its second game of the year against an opponent ranked in the Top 5, the other being an 80-64 victory over No. 1 Michigan State Jan. 7, 2018 in Columbus.
- The Buckeyes last road win against a Top 5 opponent was a 67-58 victory over Indiana March 5, 2013 in Bloomington. No. 14 Ohio State defeated No. 2 Indiana in that game.
- Ohio State is 71-60 all time in games decided by one points and 23-24 in one-point road games. The last road win decided by one point was at Penn State a year ago (71-70) Feb. 28, 2017. Jae’Sean Tate scored a layup late to provide the winning margin. The Ohio State vs. Purdue game last year in Columbus (1/5/17) was a one-point game as well, 76-75, in favor of the Boilers.
- Ohio State is 39-69 all-time against Top 5 teams. Ohio State defeated No. 1 Michigan State earlier this year in Columbus and fell to No. 5 North Carolina in the CBSSports Classic Dec. 23, 2017 in New Orleans.
- Ohio State is 15-6 all-time when ranked No. 14 nationally (AP) … OSU is 165-261 all-time and 2-2 this season vs. Top 25 opponents … OSU is 70-132 vs. Top 10 teams and 76-74 in games when both teams are ranked. The Buckeyes are 7-13 all-time vs. teams ranked No. 3 when facing Ohio State.
- Ohio State trailed Purdue 58-53 at the 5:00 mark of the second half before going on to win 64-63. The last time Ohio State rallied to win a game when trailing with 5:00 to play in the game was against Michigan Dec. 4, 2017. The Wolverines led 58-56 before Ohio State went on to win 71-62.
- Ohio State held Purdue to 20 made field goals in the game. The last time the Boilermakers were held to 20 or fewer made shots at home against a Big Ten opponent was against Illinois (3/17/2015). Purdue won that game 63-58. Louisville held Purdue to 19 made shots (19-57) Nov. 28, 2017. Purdue won that one 66-57.
- Ohio State won its first game of the season which was decided by three or less points.
- The Buckeyes outscored the Boilermakers in the paint 28-18.
- Ohio State attempted 10 more shots in the contest than Purdue.
- Ohio State’s bench outscored Purdue’s bench 18-0 in the contest.
- The game marked the second time Chris Holtmann has faced Purdue in his career. Holtmann holds a 2-0 record in these contests.
- Holtmann has won five games in his career against opponents ranked in the Top 5.
- Holtmann has the most wins in Ohio State history (21) in his first season as coach of the Buckeyes. Thad Matta won 20 (20-12) games in 2005 and Gary Williams won 20 (20-13) in his first season in Columbus in 1987.
- Keita Bates-Diop led the Buckeyes in scoring with 18 points while adding 11 rebounds, and three assists. Entering the game Wednesday, Bates-Diop was scoreless in his career vs. Purdue.
- Bates-Diop recorded his 11th double-double of the season and the 17th of his career. The Buckeyes are 16-1 in games in which Bates-Diop records a double-double.
- Bates-Diop’s 18 points bring his career total to 1,124 and move him to the 42nd spot on the Ohio State all-time list. He now trails Richard Schnittker (1,129) by five points to move into the 41st spot on the Buckeyes all-time scoring list.
- Jae’Sean Tate scored 10 points, while adding four rebounds, and five assists.
- Tate’s 10 points give him 1,425 for his career, and move him to within 11 points of Paul Ebert (1,436) for the 23rd spot on Ohio State’s all-time scoring list.
- C.J. Jackson scored his 500th career point in the contest.
- Andre Wesson scored a career-high 13 points, adding three rebounds and an assist while playing a career-high 36 minutes.