No. 13 Ohio State 85 (17-6, 7-3 Big Ten), Penn State 63 (8-14, 0-10 Big Ten)
Feb. 3, 2010
Value City Arena
- Ohio State leads the overall series with Penn State, 23-12, and have won the past 12 meetings. The Buckeyes are 10-2 in games against Penn State when ranked nationally in the Associated Press Top 25.
- The Buckeyes are 7-0 against Penn State in Value City Arena. The Nittany Lions are one of three conference teams (Northwestern 8-0, Purdue 6-0) to have never won in Value City Arena.
- Ohio State led 21-11 at the 7:42 mark in the first half. At that point, William Buford was 3-of-3 from the field with 8 points. He also had four assists, making him directly involved in seven of OSU’s eight basket-scoring possessions.
- The Buckeyes were 14-of-23 (60.9 percent) from the field and 5-of-9 (55.6 percent) from behind the arc in the first half.
- For the game, Ohio State shot 50 percent (25-of-50) from the field.
- The Buckeyes are 16-2 all-time when ranked No. 13 in the Associated Press Poll. In their only appearance at No. 13 this season, Ohio State lost, 74-66, at Butler.
- Ohio State’s starting lineup of Evan Turner, David Lighty, Jon Diebler, William Buford and Dallas Lauderdale is 12-2 this season.
- The Buckeyes are 14-0 in Value City Arena this season.
- The team is shooting 53.5 percent from the field (410-of-765) and 41.8 percent from behind the arc (126-of-301) at Value City Arena this season.
- The Buckeyes have won 75 of their last 76 games against unranked opponents in Columbus (71 in Value City Arena, 3 in St. John Arena and 1 in Nationwide Arena). Their last loss to an unranked team was vs. West Virginia, Dec. 27, 2008 (76-48).
- Matta’s career record is now 246-83 in his 10th season all-time as a head coach. He is 144-52 in his sixth year at Ohio State. His .734 win percentage is tops all-time among Ohio State coaches.
- Matta is 62-32 (.659) in Big Ten games, also the highest percentage all-time at Ohio State.
- Matta sports a career record of 11-0 vs. Penn State. They are the only Big Ten school Matta is undefeated against.
- Under Matta, Ohio State is 118-20 overall against unranked opponents, 13-2 this season.
- At home against unranked opponents under Matta, Ohio State is 84-2 overall and 12-0 for the 2009-10 campaign.
- Turner finished the game with 27 points, 10 rebounds and six assists.
- In the second half, Turner scored his 1,200th point as a Buckeye (1,207).
- Turner grabbed 10 rebounds and passed Jim Jackson and moved into No. 21 all-time on the Ohio State rebounding list (560).
- In conference games, Turner is averaging 15.6 points, six rebounds and 4.6 assists.
- Turner now has 60 career games with 10 or more points. He has had 15 games this season with 10 or more points and he has scored 20 points or more in 19 career games.
- Turner scored 22 of his game-high 27 points in the second half.
- Buford was 4-of-4 from the field with one three-pointer (11 points) and four assists in the first half.
- In the past 16 games, Buford has scored in double figures 14 times. In that span, he has averaged 15.7 points (233).
- In conference games, Buford is averaging 6.9 rebounds.
- Buford has had three or more assists in a game 15 times.
- Lauderdale connected on 2-of-2 field-goal attempts. For the season, he is shooting 66-of-86 from the field (76.7 percent), tops in the Big Ten.
- He is 41-of-49 (83.6 percent) at Value City Arena this season.
- Diebler has made at least one 3-pointer in 32 of the past 33 games (only miss is at Iowa, Jan. 27, 2010).
- After being held scoreless for the game, Diebler made a three-point basket with 1:30 remaining to put the Buckeyes up six points. He has scored in 58 consecutive games.
- Lighty had 12 points, the 16th game this season he has been in double figures.
• Madsen scored six points, eclipsing the 100 point mark for his career (101).