Aug. 30, 2014
Ohio State vs. Navy
Aug. 30, 2014
M&T Bank Stadium
No. 5/6 Ohio State (1-0) 34, Navy (0-1) 17
Ohio State Postgame Notes
- With the win, Ohio State extends the nation’s longest regular-season win streak to 25 games.
- The Buckeyes improve to 5-0 all-time against Navy.
- Ohio State is 34-2 in its last 36 season openers. Its last defeat was in 1999 to Miami, Fla.
- Redshirt freshman J.T. Barrett made his first career start at quarterback in his first collegiate game. He is only the second freshman (true or redshirt) to start an opener for the Buckeyes since 1950. Barrett finished the game 12-of-15 for 226 yards, 2 TDs and 1 INT, hitting six different receivers. He also rushed nine times for 50 yards.
- Senior WR Devin Smith hauled in an 80-yard TD pass in the third quarter, the 19th of his career. He is now averaging 41.7 yards per score in his career. Smith finished the game with 2 catches for 94 yards and 1 TD. The Buckeyes are now 15-0 when he catches a TD.
- Head coach Urban Meyer is now 13-0 in his career in season openers and 48-4 in games played in August/September.
- True freshman kicker Sean Nuernberger kicked his first career FG, a 46-yarder in the first quarter to put Ohio State up 3-0.
- Ohio State failed to score a touchdown in the first half for the first time since the 2011 game at Illinois, snapping a streak of 32 consecutive games.
- Ohio State scored its first TD of the season on a 61-yard fumble return by Darron Lee in the third quarter – Lee’s first career score. The last time Ohio State returned a fumble for a TD was during the 2012 season opener vs. Miami, Ohio – a 1 yard return by Bradley Roby.
- Sophomore safety Tyvis Powell led the Buckeyes on defense with a career-high 13 tackles.