Nov. 17, 2017
Ohio State Buckeyes (3-0) vs. Northeastern Huskies (2-1)
|Date:||Nov. 19, 2017|
|Site:||Value City Arena (19,049)|
|Talent:|| Dylan Tyrer (Play-By-Play)
James Zajaczkowski (Expert Analysis)
Caroline Rice (Sideline)
|Radio:||OSU-IMG Sports Network (63 stations)|
|Local Radio:||WBNS-FM 97.1, AM-1460|
|Radio Talent:|| Paul Keels (Play-By-Play)
Ron Stokes (Expert Analysis)
Starting Five, Plus One
• Ohio State and Northeastern are playing for the second time. The Huskies won the only other meeting 76-74 Feb. 16, 1985 in East Rutherford, New Jersey. Ohio State is 9-2 vs. current members of the Colonial Athletic Association.
• Mike Conley Jr. was elected into the Ohio State Athletics Hall of Fame in 2017 and was officially recognized during Hall of Fame Weekend on the Ohio State campus the weekend of Oct. 7. Conley is the 39th men’s basketball student-athlete to be elected to the Athletics Hall of Fame. Conley, now in his 11th season with the Memphis Grizzlies, was the No. 4 overall pick in the 2007 NBA Draft after leading the Buckeyes to the NCAA National Championship game in 2007.
• Evan Turner, who was Ohio State’s 38th Hall of Fame inductee a season ago, was recognized Sept. 9 during Ohio State’s matchup with Oklahoma on the gridiron for his donation of $500,000 to the men’s basketball program. The donation will be used for graphics and to name the hallway outside the men’s basketball practice facility. Turner was the National Player of the Year in college basketball in 2010 and was the No. 2 pick in the NBA Draft that year (Philadelphia).
• Keita Bates-Diop has opened the season with three-consecutive double-doubles (10+Pts/10+Rebs) vs. Robert Morris, Radford and Texas Southern. Bates-Diop has nine career D-Ds. The last time an Ohio State player opened the season with three-consecutive D-Ds was Evan Turner in 2009 when he put together a string of five consecutive games. Turner tallied 17 points and 10 assists in the opener that year vs. Alcorn State. He followed that effort with three games with 23 or more points and 11+ rebounds before a 16-point, 11-assist effort vs. Lipscomb.
• Graduate transfer Andrew Dakich knocked down his first 3 of the season vs. Texas Southern. He has one made 3 in each of his four years of eligibility, which includes three seasons at Michigan…Jae’Sean Tate is tied for third nationally among Power 5 conference players 6-4 or shorter with 8.3 rebounds per game…Bates-Diop is one of eight players nationally to tally a double-double in all three games played this season…Ohio State is 14th nationally with a +16.7 rebounding margin…Tate is 16 rebounds shy of 600 for his career.
• Holtmann received National Letters of Intent Nov. 8 from a quartet of high school standouts from Ohio, California, Texas and New Jersey. Justin Ahrens, a 6-5 forward from Versailles, Ohio; Duane Washington, a 6-3 guard from Chatsworth, California; Jaedon LeDee, a 6-9 forward from Houston, Texas; and Luther Muhammad, a 6-3 guard from Jersey City, New Jersey, all signed on with Holtmann and the Buckeyes on national signing day.
For more on the Buckeyes click on the Ohio State Notes link above.