Dec. 5, 2016
Ohio State Buckeyes (7-1) vs. Florida Atlantic Owls (2-5)
|Date:||Dec. 6, 2016|
|Site:||Value City Arena (19,049)|
|Game Time:||7:02 p.m.|
|Talent:|| Jim Barbar (Play-By-Play)
Mark Adams (Expert Analysis)
|Radio:||OSU-IMG Sports Network (60 stations)|
|Local Radio:||WBNS-FM 97.1, AM-1460|
|Radio Talent:|| Paul Keels (Play-By-Play)
Ron Stokes (Expert Analysis)
Starting Five, Plus One
• Senior Marc Loving became the 53rd Buckeye all-time to reach 1,000 career points. Loving scored 18 points vs. Fairleigh Dickinson the last time out. He is the 12th player in the Thad Matta era to reach 1,000 career points as a Buckeye. His point total of 1,039 is 48th on the all-time Ohio State scoring list. Jamie Skelton and Ken Johnson are tied at the No. 46 spot with 1,055 career points as Buckeyes.
• Ohio State has won at least 10 Big Ten regular season games (11-7 in 2016) over the last 11 seasons, the longest streak in school history and the longest streak among Big Ten schools over Thad Matta’s 12-year tenure with the Buckeyes. Wisconsin (12-6 in conference play last year) has a streak of 10-consecutive seasons with 10+ victories in regular season league play.
• Thad Matta is No. 13 all-time in career Big Ten regular-season victories … Matta owns 143 career league triumphs. He is tied with Harold “Bud” Foster (WIS 1935-59) who also won 143 league encounters. The No. 12 spot is held by former Ohio State coach Harold Olsen (1923-46). He won 154 league games over his tenure.
• Keita Bates-Diop needs a pair of buckets to reach 200 made field goals for his career (198-431)…he also is two rebounds shy of 300 for his Ohio State tenure. Marc Loving is three assists shy of 100 for his career. JaQuan Lyle is 22 points away from 500 (11.1 ppg for career/43 games). He also needs 10 assists to reach 200 and 15 rebounds for 200 career boards. Kam Williams reached 100 made 3s with three vs. FDU last time out. He is 21-40 this season (.525) and 101-240 (.421) for his career.
• Matta teams are 304-15 during his tenure at Ohio State when the Buckeyes own a lead with 5:00 to play in games. Ohio State also is 287-18 in 305 games in which Ohio State has built a lead of at least 10 points at any point during a game.
• Since Thad Matta took over the Ohio State program the Buckeyes have competed against 121 opponents ranked in the Associated Press Top 25, the third-most games against ranked foes in all of NCAA Division I men’s basketball. The Buckeyes are 54-67 in those games with a winning percentage of .446. That win total ranks No. 10 nationally for victories vs. ranked opponents since 2004-05.
Baseball Buckeyes to be Recognized at FAU Game
Members of the Ohio State baseball team will receive their 2016 Big Ten Tournament Championship Rings Tuesday, Dec. 6, at the Schottenstein Center. The Buckeyes will be recognized at a timeout during the contest between the Buckeyes and Owls. The Buckeyes went 44-20-1 overall, claiming the most wins by a team since 2003. Ohio State captured its ninth Big Ten tournament title in school history and first since 2007. The Buckeyes made their 20th appearance all-time in the NCAA Tournament and first since 2009.
Scouting the Owls
Florida Atlantic enters the game with the Buckeyes with a 2-5 overall record. After starting the season with losses to Texas State, Southern Illinois-Edwardsville and on the road at Hawaii, the Owls won games vs. Edward Waters and South Florida. In its last two outings, FAU fell to Tennessee-Martin on the road and to Hofstra at home. Three Owls average in double figures led by junior center Ronald Delph with 12.5 points. Sophomore guard Nick Rutherford chips in 11.8 ppg. ahead of junior guard Gerdarius Troutman with 10.3 ppg. Delph is the team’s top rebounder with 9.7 rpg.
Ohio State vs. Florida Atlantic Series
The Buckeyes and Owls are meeting for the first time. After taking down Marshall earlier this season, Ohio State is 8-4 overall against current members of Conference USA.
Ohio State vs. Conference USA
Florida International………….. 1-0
Louisiana Tech…………………… 1-2
Middle Tennessee State
Old Dominion…………………….. 1-0
Texas El Paso…………………….. 0-1
Texas-San Antonio……………… 1-0
Western Kentucky………………. 2-1
Rookie Starters in Matta Era
Thad Matta has started seven freshmen in their first game at Ohio State during his tenure (2005-present). Four of those rookies did so from 2005-06 to 2006-07. Rookie Micah Potter, a freshman center from Mentor, Ohio, started his first game as a Buckeye at Navy Nov. 14. The two most recent freshman starters were Jared Sullinger at center in 2010-11 and rookie guard D’Angelo Russell in 2014-15. David Lighty and Mike Conley Jr. were the first freshmen starters in the Matta era in 2006. Jon Diebler and Kosta Koufos got the starting nod in 2007-08.
Noting the Fairleigh Dickinson Game
• This was the first meeting between Ohio State and Fairleigh Dickinson.
• The Buckeyes are 13-0 all-time against the teams that currently make up the Northeast Conference.
• The Buckeyes shot 50 percent on the night (26 of 52). This is their fourth consecutive game shooting 50 percent or higher.
• Ohio State is 288-30 when shooting a higher percentage from the field than its opponent and 6-1 this season.
• The Buckeyes are 206-27 when outrebounding their opponent under Matta and 5-0 this season.
• The Buckeyes are now 226-20 when they score 70 or more points in the Matta era and 5-0 this season.
• When shooting 50 percent or higher from the field, Matta squads are 149-10 all-time and 5-1 this season.
• Matta-coached teams are 287-18 when leading by 10 or more points at any point in a game and 7-1 this season.
• When leading with five minutes to go, Thad Matta coached teams are now 304-15 and 7-1 this season.
• Matta is 266-30 (.899) all-time when his team leads at half and 7-1 on the season.
• With Matta at the helm, Ohio State is 77-14 (.846) in the Month of December.
• Trevor Thompson came off the bench and recorded his fourth career double-double, scoring 10 points and grabbing 13 rebounds while also adding five blocks and two assists.
• The last Ohio State player to record a double-double off the bench was Shannon Scott (10/10 assists), vs. Missouri-Kansas City (11/23/12)
• Thompson’s 13 rebounds were a career high, surpassing his previous career high of 12 rebounds.
• Marc Loving led the Buckeyes in scoring, putting up 18 points along with three rebounds and two assists.
• Jae’Sean Tate recorded his third double-double of the season, putting up 12 points, 12 rebounds and three assists.
• His 12 rebounds were a season high, surpassing his previous season high of 11.
• Tate has now scored in double figures in seven of eight games this season.
• Kam Williams put up 17 points, four rebounds, one assist and four steals in a season-high 37 minutes.
• His four steals tie his career high.
• Williams has now scored in double figures in four of the last five games.
For more information on the Buckeyes click on the Ohio State Notes link above.