May 13, 2017
Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook and Twitter
COLUMBUS, Ohio – In its final home match of the season, No. 3 ranked Ohio State knocked-off No. 42 Louisville 4-0 on Saturday afternoon to punch its ticket to next week’s Sweet 16 in Athens, Ga. The Buckeyes will play No. 14 seed Oklahoma on Thursday, May 18 at Noon.
Catch some highlights as well as Coach Tucker and Herkko Pollanen’s thoughts on the win. https://t.co/TfzA8K4PUi
— Ohio State M Tennis (@OhioState_MTEN) May 13, 2017
- The Buckeyes improve to 31-3 on the season and finished the year a perfect 18-0 at home
- The win also improves Ohio State to 24-0 all-time in NCAA Tournament matches in Columbus
- In those 24 victories, the Buckeyes have allowed just five points
- Ohio State has advanced to the Sweet 16 for the 14th time overall including in each of the last 12 seasons
- The Buckeyes are now 14-1 all-time against Louisville and this was the first victory in the NCAA Tournament.
- This was the team’s 20th sweep of the season
- Singles was a bit of tussle between the two teams.
- Torpegaard and Christopher Morin-Kougoucheff went back and forth in the first set before Torpegaard prevailed 7-4 in a tie-break. The Buckeye then caught his footing in the second set and was leading 5-2 when the match was halted.
- Pollanen put the second Buckeye point on the board with a dominating 6-0, 6-2 win in his final match in Columbus. The Finland native is not 27-7 on the season and a perfect 9-0 at the No. 5 spot.
- Di Feo made 3-0 with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Nicolas Rouanet on court three. The win was his 30th of the season and the 53rd of his career.
- The clinching point came from Joyce on court four. He bested George Hedley 7-5, 6-2 to notch his 17th win of the campaign.
- Kyle Seelig won the opening set on court six over Clement Filho in a tie-break and then was up 2-1 in the second when the match was halted.
#3 Ohio State 4, #42 Louisville 0
1. #2 Mikael Torpegaard (OSU) vs. #111 C. Morin-Kougoucheff (LOU-MT) 7-6 (7-4), 5-2, unfinished
2. #46 JJ Wolf (OSU) vs. Parker Wynn (LOU-MT) 4-6, 4-5, unfinished
3. #9 Hugo Di Feo (OSU) def. Nicolas Rouanet (LOU-MT) 6-3, 6-2
4. Martin Joyce (OSU) def. George Hedley (LOU-MT) 7-5, 6-2
5. Herkko Pollanen (OSU) def. Brandon Lancaster (LOU-MT) 6-0, 6-2
6. Kyle Seelig (OSU) vs. Clement Filho (LOU-MT) 7-6 (8-6), 2-1, unfinished
1. #16 Mikael Torpegaard/Herkko Pollanen (OSU) vs. #23 Sean Donohue/Parker Wynn (LOU-MT) 4-2, unfinished
2. #30 Hugo Di Feo/Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Nicolas Rouanet/Ciro Lampasas (LOU-MT) 6-2
3. JJ Wolf/Hunter Tubert (OSU) def. C. Morin-Kougoucheff/George Hedley (LOU-MT) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (5,3,4)
Official: Jeri Banks T-1:58 A-301