April 28, 2017
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – No. 2 Ohio State continues its winning ways at the Big Ten Tournament, winning its quarterfinal match 4-0 over Minnesota on Friday morning.
The win improves the Buckeyes to 27-3 on the season and they advance to Saturday’s semifinals against the winner of the Northwestern and Wisconsin match at 10:30 a.m.
The Buckeyes wasted little time in jumping out to a 1-0 lead with the doubles point. All three teams went up a break early to set the tone. JJ Wolf and Hunter Tubert posted the first win with a 6-1 triumph over Eli Ogilvy and Stefan Milicevic on court three. That was followed closely by a 6-3 win from Martin Joyce and Hugo Di Feo on court two over Josip Krstanovicn and Justyn Levin.
In the singles, No. 2 Mikael Torpegaard rebounded from his first setback of the year last Sunday with a solid 6-4, 6-2 win over Felix Corwin. Redshirt-freshman Kyle Seelig won by the same score on court six, besting Justyn Levin for his 20th dual match victory this season.
The clinching point came from the hottest Buckeye at the moment, freshman JJ Wolf. Coming off two ranked wins last weekend and being named the Big Ten’s Freshman of the Year yesterday, Wolf rolled to a 6-3, 6-4 victory over No. 70 Matic Spec. That was his third-straight ranked victory and his fifth of the year.
In the other three matches, Di Feo dropped the opening set to Stefan Milicevic but was up a break at 5-3 in the second. Herkko Pollanen also fell in the first set but rebounded to win the second 6-1 and had yet to start the third. Joyce won the first second 6-4 over Ogilvy and was on serve in the second.
The Buckeyes have won nine of the last 11 Big Ten Tournaments and have advanced to the finals every year since 2005. OSU knocked-off both Wisconsin and Northwestern 6-1 in back-to-back matches on April 16 and 21.
#2 Ohio State 4, Minnesota 0
1. #2 Mikael Torpegaard (OSU) def. Felix Corwin (MINN) 6-4, 6-2
2. #41 JJ Wolf (OSU) def. #70 Matic Spec (MINN) 6-3, 6-4
3. #9 Hugo Di Feo (OSU) vs. Stefan Milicevic (MINN) 4-6, 5-3, unfinished
4. Martin Joyce (OSU) vs. Eli Ogilvy (MINN) 6-4, 4-5, unfinished
5. Herkko Pollanen (OSU) vs. Josip Krstanovic (MINN) 4-6, 6-1, unfinished
6. Kyle Seelig (OSU) def. Justyn Levin (MINN) 6-4, 6-2
1. #14 Mikael Torpegaard/Herkko Pollanen (OSU) vs. Matic Spec/Felix Corwin (MINN) 4-3, unfinished
2. #27 Martin Joyce/Hugo Di Feo (OSU) def. Josip Krstanovic/Justyn Levin (MINN) 6-3
3. Hunter Tubert/JJ Wolf (OSU) def. Eli Ogilvy/Stefan Milicevic (MINN) 6-1
Minnesota 17-10, 5-6 Big Ten
Ohio State 27-3, 11-0 Big Ten; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (1,6,2)
Match played outdoors at the Schwartz Tennis Center