April 10, 2005
Columbus, Ohio – The Ohio State women’s tennis team lost a 4-3 decision at Penn State Sunday in State College, Pa., in Big Ten action. The Nittany Lions (6-9, 1-5 Big Ten) bounced back from a 1-0 deficit after losing doubles to the Buckeyes (6-15, 1-5 Big Ten). Sonia Ruzimovsky and Caitlin O’Keefe, the Buckeyes’ top two in singles wins this spring, both picked up singles victories for Ohio State.
In doubles, the Buckeyes jumped in front with victories at the Nos. 1 and 3 positions. At No. 1, the duo of Emily DeCamilla (Sr., Sacramento, Calif./Maryland) and Meredith Vincent (Sr., Cincinnati, Ohio/Va. Tech) beat Penn State’s Maaria Husain and Sarah Spence, 8-3. At No. 3, Lindsay Bryan (Sr., New Orleans, La./Ursuline Academy) and O’Keefe (Fr., Troy, Mich./Troy) overcame a 5-1 deficit to down Jessica McKeown and Andrea Niculescu, 8-5 to clinch the doubles point for the Buckeyes.
Playing at No. 2 singles for the first time, Ruzimovsky (Soph., Brooklyn, N.Y./Brooklyn Tech) picked up her 11th win of the spring season by sweeping Spence, 7-5, 6-3. O’Keefe’s 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (8), win over Sasha Abraham at the No. 3 spot was her ninth win of the spring.
Ohio State continues its Big Ten road trip next weekend with a trip north to Michigan. The Buckeyes face Michigan at 11 a.m. Saturday in Ann Arbor, Mich., before taking on Michigan State at 10 a.m. Sunday in East Lansing, Mich. Penn State – 4
Ohio State – 3
April 10, 2005
State College, Pa.
1. Maaria Husain (PSU) def. Emily DeCamilla (OSU), 2-6, 7-5, 6-3
2. Sonia Ruzimovsky (OSU) def. Sarah Spence (PSU), 7-5, 6-3
3 Caitlin O’Keefe (OSU def. Sasha Abraham (PSU), 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (8)
4. Andrea Niculescu (PSU) def. Meredith Vincent (OSU), 6-1, 6-4
5. Katelyn Bevard (PSU) def. Kristin Messmer (OSU), 6-3, 6-4
6. Jenny Shular (PSU) def. Lindsay Bryan (OSU), 6-2, 6-1
1. DeCamilla/Meredith Vincent (OSU) def. Husain/Spence (PSU), 8-3
2. Abraham/Shular (PSU) def. Ruzimovsky/Messmer (OSU), 8-4
3. Bryan/O’Keefe (OSU) def. Niculescu/McKeown (PSU), 8-5