COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State scored all of its runs in the third inning to clinch the series with Michigan State by a score of 6-2 on Saturday afternoon at Buckeye Field. With back-to-back wins, the Buckeyes jump to 28-11 overall and 9-6 in the Big Ten while the Spartans are 16-23 with a 4-10 conference mark.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a leadoff double and stolen base, the Spartans got on the board with a RBI single in the opening frame.
- Ohio State erupted for six runs on three hits in the bottom of the third. It all started with a single by Niki Carver and walk for Lilli Piper. Next up, Shelby McCombs doubled to right field to score Carver and tie the game. With two still on, Ashley Goodwin walked to stack the bags.
- With two still on, Ashley Goodwin walked to stack the bags. The free bases kept coming as Emily Clark and Taylor White earned back-to-back walks with the bases loaded for a pair of runs. Kallie Boren came in as a pinch hitter facing two outs and drilled a three-RBI double to right field for a 6-1 lead.
- Riley Paxson hit a solo home run over center field in the fourth.
IN THE CIRCLE
- McCombs went the distance for the seventh time in 2018 to notch her 12th win. During her time in the circle, gave up two runs and seven hits while striking out six batters.
BY THE NUMBERS
- In her only at bat of the game, Kallie Boren drove in a career-high three runs.
- Carley Gaskill earned her first start of the season at first base.
- Lilli Piper has walked 14 times over the last 11 games. She has also gotten on base in 14 consecutive outings.
- Ohio State turned two double plays and helped strand eight Spartans.
- Six different Buckeyes tallied a run and five had a hit.
- The Buckeyes were 2-for-3 with runners on third with less than two outs.
Ohio State and Michigan State wrap up the series at noon on Sunday.