Feb. 27, 2005
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State women’s tennis team bounced back from a 6-1 loss earlier in the day to No. 7 Kentucky by shutting out Akron, 7-0, Sunday night at the Jesse Owens West Tennis Center in Columbus, Ohio. The Zips (6-6) are the third Ohio team the Buckeyes (4-6) swept this season, joining Youngstown State and Cleveland State.
Ohio State started the match by taking all three doubles matches. At the No. 1 position, Buckeyes Lindsey Adams (Sr., Mercer Island, Wash./Mercer Island) and Sonia Ruzimovsky (Brooklyn, N.Y./Brooklyn Tech) beat Courtney Brenkus and Mindy Price, 8-0. At No. 2, Ohio State duo Emily Howard (Jr., Akron, Ohio/Walsh Jesuit) and Meredith Vincent (Sr., Cincinnati, Ohio/Va. Tech) beat Laura Hemlepp and Stephanie Miles, 8-0. At No. 3, Buckeyes Caitlin O’Keefe (Fr., Troy, Mich./Troy) and Kristin Messmer (Soph., Lutherville, Md./McDonogh) completed the sweep with an 8-2 win over Amy Sherlock and Vero Duchesne.
In singles, three Buckeyes earned straight-set, 6-0, 6-0 victories. Emily DeCamilla (Sr., Sacramento, Calif./Maryland) downed Brenkus at No. 1, Messmer stopped Price at No. 3 and O’Keefe beat Hemlepp at No. 5.
Also winning for Ohio State were Anna Volberg (Soph., Toledo, Ohio/St. Ursula), who beat Sherlock at No. 2, 6-1, 1-6, 1-0 (10-6), Lindsay Bryan (Sr., New Orleans, La./Ursuline Academy), who swept Miles at No. 3, 6-1, 6-0, and Silvia Prajescu (Fr., Dollard-Des-Orneaux, Quebec/Des-Sources), who dispatched Jennifer Ales at No. 6, 6-1, 6-1.
The Buckeyes return to action at noon March 5 when they face Missouri in Columbia, Mo. The following day at 9 a.m. Ohio State faces Louisville in Columbia, and then travels to St. Louis, Mo., to take on St. Louis University at 6 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Akron Zips vs Ohio State
Feb 27, 2005 at Columbus, Ohio
#65 Ohio State 7, Akron Zips 0
1. Emily DeCamilla (OSU) def. Courtney Brenkus (AKR), 6-0, 6-0
2. Anna Volberg (OSU) def. Amy Sherlock (AKR), 6-1, 1-6, 1-0 (10-6)
3. Kristin Messmer (OSU) def. Mindy Price (AKR), 6-0, 6-0
4. Lindsay Bryan (OSU) def. Stephanie Miles (AKR), 6-1, 6-0
5. Caitlin O’Keefe (OSU) def. Laura Hemlepp (AKR), 6-0, 6-0
6. Silvia Prajescu (OSU) def. Jennifer Ales (AKR), 6-1, 6-1
1. Lindsey Adams/Sonia Ruzimovsky (OSU) def. Courtney Brenkus/Mindy Price (AKR), 8-0
2. Meredith Vincent/Emily Howard (OSU) def. Laura Hemlepp/Stephanie Miles (AKR), 8-0
3. Caitlin O’Keefe/Kristin Messmer (OSU) def. Amy Sherlock/Vero Duchesne (AKR), 8-2
Akron Zips 6-6
Ohio State 4-6; National ranking #65
Order of finish: 3,4,1*,2,5,6