Jan. 24, 2017
COLUMBUS, Ohio – No. 3 ranked Ohio State is off to a 4-0 start to the season after a pair of 4-0 sweeps of Butler and Xavier on Tuesday at the OSU Varsity Tennis Center.
Not only do the Buckeyes remain perfect on the season but they also remain unbeaten against both Butler and Xavier. They are now 18-0 all-time against Butler and 16-0 against the Musketeers.
Against Butler, the Buckeyes won the doubles point thanks to a 6-0 victory from JJ Wolf and Hunter Tubert on court one and a 6-2 win from Matt Mendez and Riley Reist on court 3. This was the first time both doubles teams had played together. The No. 25 ranked team of Martin Joyce and Hugo Di Feo were one point away from winning their match on court 2 as they were leading 5-2.
In singles, Tubert claimed his first dual match singles win of the season with a solid 6-2, 6-1 win over Ari Gerstein on court five. Joyce made it 2-0 Buckeyes with his 6-2, 6-2 win on court three over Mason Dragos. The clinching point came from redshirt-freshman Kyle Seelig as he claimed his third victory of the season with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Spencer Lang.
In the other singles matches, Di Feo won a tightly contested first set 6-4 on court one with Aviv Ben Shabat and was leading 5-2 when Ben Shabat was being attended to by the trainer. Herkko Pollanen also won the opening set 6-4 on court two over Mikheil Khmiadashvili and was up 4-3 when the match was clinched. On court six, Alex Kobelt and Temilope Andelakun split the first two sets and the Buckeye was leading 2-1 in the third.
The evening match against Xavier started well for the Buckeyes as they quickly claimed the doubles point. Mendez and Di Feo rolled to a 6-0 victory over Gabriel Araujo and Matt Bishop on court two while Joyce and Riley Reist posted a 6-4 win on court three over Trent Smith and Matthew Graft. The match on court one between Wolf and Tubert and Xavier’s Jeremy Schneider and Jack Dykema traded breaks early and saw the Buckeyes leading 5-3 when the point was clinched.
Reist notched his first singles victory of 2017 with a solid 6-0, 6-0 win over Nick Werner at No. 6 singles to put the Buckeyes ahead 2-0. Di Feo also claimed his first singles win of the new season with his 6-0, 6-2 triumph over Matt Bishop. The final point came from Mendez on court five as he topped Gabriel Araujo 6-4, 6-1. The other three unfinished matches were all also going the way of the Buckeyes as they were all one game away from winning.
The Buckeyes now head into the ITA Kickoff Weekend this upcoming weekend at the OSU Varsity Tennis Center. OSU will play Utah on Friday morning at 10 a.m. That match will be followed by Old Dominion and Denver and the winners on Friday will play for a spot in the ITA National Indoor Team Championships on Saturday at 4 p.m. Admission to all Ohio State tennis matches is free.
#3 Ohio State 4, Butler 0
1. #5 Hugo Di Feo (OSU) vs. Aviv Ben Shabat (BUMTEN) 6-4, 5-2, unfinished
2. #34 Herkko Pollanen (OSU) vs. Mikheil Khmiadashvil (BUMTEN) 6-4, 4-3, unfinished
3. #53 Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Mason Dragos (BUMTEN) 6-2, 6-2
4. Kyle Seelig (OSU) def. Spencer Lang (BUMTEN) 6-4, 6-4
5. Hunter Tubert (OSU) def. Ari Gerstein (BUMTEN) 6-2, 6-1
6. Alex Kobelt (OSU) vs. Temilope Adelakun (BUMTEN) 6-0, 4-6, 2-1, unfinished
1. JJ Wolf/Hunter Tubert (OSU) def. Aviv Ben Shabat/Ari Gerstein (BUMTEN) 6-0
2. #25 Martin Joyce/Hugo Di Feo (OSU) vs. Mason Dragos/Mikheil Khmiadashvil (BUMTEN) 5-3, unfinished
3. Matt Mendez/Riley Reist (OSU) def. Spencer Lang/Temilope Adelakun (BUMTEN) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (5,3,4)
Official: Marcus Lee T-1:49 A-66
#3 Ohio State 4, Xavier 0
1. JJ Wolf (OSU) vs. Jeremy Schneider (XAVIER) 6-2, 5-3, unfinished
2. #5 Hugo Di Feo (OSU) def. Matt Bishop (XAVIER) 6-0, 6-2
3. #34 Herkko Pollanen (OSU) vs. Jack Dykema (XAVIER) 6-4, 5-0, unfinished
4. #53 Martin Joyce (OSU) vs. Trent Smith (XAVIER) 6-4, 5-3, unfinished
5. Matt Mendez (OSU) def. Gabriel Araujo (XAVIER) 6-4, 6-1
6. Riley Reist (OSU) def. Nick Werner (XAVIER) 6-0, 6-0
1. JJ Wolf/Hunter Tubert (OSU) vs. Jeremy Schneider/Jack Dykema (XAVIER) 5-3, unfinished
2. Hugo Di Feo/Matt Mendez (OSU) def. Gabriel Araujo/Matt Bishop (XAVIER) 6-0
3. Martin Joyce/Alex Kobelt (OSU) def. Trent Smith/Matthew Graft (XAVIER) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (6,2,5)
Official: Marcus Lee T-1:38 A-64