COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State women’s soccer team opens Big Ten play when it takes on No. 21 Penn State at 6 p.m. Friday in University Park, Pa.
Fans can follow live stats and streaming video on the schedule page at OhioStateBuckeyes.com or follow on Twitter @OhioStateWSOC.
OHIO STATE OF LATE
Ohio State dropped a 1-0 decision to Florida Gulf Coast Friday night at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. Despite holding a 16-6 advantage in shots and a 10-2 lead in corners, the Buckeyes conceded a goal in the 12th minute and were unable to find the equalizer in their non-conference finale.
VATNE NAMED B1G FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
Coming off her hat trick against Morehead State, midfielder Emaly Vatne garnered Big Ten Freshman of the Week honors, the conference office announced Sept. 4. Ohio State’s Big Ten weekly awards for 2018:
Emaly Vatne – Freshman of the Week (9/4)
Kayla Fischer – Player of the Week (8/28)
Kayla Fischer – Freshman of the Week (8/28)
SOME MORE NOTES
– Ohio State is 38-1-2 when scoring at least two goals in a game since the start of 2014, including 1-0-0 in 2018 and 11-0-0 a season ago. The Buckeyes went 5-0-1 when scoring at least twice in 2014 before going a perfect 11-0-0 in 2015 and 10-1-1 in 2016.
– Ohio State is 3-0-0 on the year when scoring first after it went 15-1-0 when scoring first last season and 10-0-1 in 2016.
– Ohio State was 4-1-1 in overtime contests in 2017 and 9-2-7 in overtime matches over the last three seasons.
– Devon Kerr’s nine shutouts last season tied her with Emily Haynam and Amber Barnes for second on the Buckeyes’ single-season shutout list. Kerr also sits tied for fourth on the Ohio State career shutout list with Emily Haynam with 13.
– Kayla Fischer became the first Buckeye freshman to score the team’s first goal of the season since Lisa Collison did so in a 2-0 win over Xavier in 2005.
– In the win over No. 5 Florida, the Buckeyes knocked off their highest-ranked opponent since a 2-0 victory over No. 3 Penn State in the 2004 Big Ten Tournament championship game.
– The eight goals scored by the Buckeyes against Morehead State tied for the third-most in a single game in program history. Ohio State also scored eight goals in an 8-1 win over Xavier in 2004. The highest scoring outputs in Ohio State history:
14 vs. Robert Morris (10/12/95)
9 at Valparaiso (11/2/96)
8 vs. Xavier (9/2/04)
8 vs. Morehead State (8/30/18)
7 vs. Youngstown State (9/21/03)
7 vs. Illinois (9/14/17)
– Emaly Vatne’s hat trick vs. Morehead State was the 15th in Ohio State history and the first since Lindsay Agnew scored three times in a 3-0 win over Iowa Sept. 25, 2016. Vatne becomes the third freshman in program history to notch a hat trick, joining Sammy Edwards in 2014 and Nichelle Prince in 2013, and her seven points against the Eagles were the second-most in a single game in Ohio State history. Lisa Suttmiller notched eight on three goals and two assists at Valparaiso in 1996.
SCOUTING PENN STATE
Penn State, ranked 21st in this week’s United Soccer Coaches poll, is 4-3-0 on the year after suffering a trio of one-goal losses to UCLA, Wake Forest and Virginia. Kerry Abello (3g, 4a) leads the Nittany Lions with 10 points while Amanda Dennis has seen the majority of the time in goal, notching a 0.79 goals-against average.
Ohio State trails the all-time series with Penn State, 7-22-1, after splitting a pair of meetings in 2017.
Ohio State travels to Illinois at 8 p.m. ET Sept. 20 and Northwestern at 1 p.m. ET Sept. 23.