Feb. 28, 2018
RELATED INFO: 2018 Team Guide | Weekly Release | 2018 Schedule | 2018 Roster | Baseball Homepage | Big Ten Baseball | Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram | Cox Diamond Invitational Website
COLUMBUS, Ohio – After splitting four games last weekend in Surprise, Ariz., the Ohio State baseball team will look to build off its desert trip at the Cox Diamond Invitational in Pensacola, Fla. The Buckeyes (5-3) open the weekend at 3 p.m. ET Friday against Nicholls State and take on No. 16 Southern Miss at 4 p.m. ET Saturday. The weekend will close with a matchup-against Eastern Michigan at 11 a.m. ET Sunday.
All three games will be played at beautiful waterfront Blue Wahoos Stadium, home to the Pensacola Blue Wahoos, the Double-A affiliate for the Cincinnati Reds. The game Saturday against the nationally-ranked Golden Eagles will be televised on Cox Sports Television and streamed on ESPN3 (blacked out in local markets).
📽️Head coach Greg Beals, Conner Pohl and Ryan Feltner spoke with the media to preview Cox Diamond Invitational. #GoBucks pic.twitter.com/qfwmIdKUkt
— Ohio State Baseball (@OhioState_BASE) March 1, 2018
Ohio State vs. Nicholls State | Friday, March 2 | 3 p.m. ET | Blue Wahoos Stadium
Live Stats | Twitter Updates
Ohio State vs. No. 16 Southern Miss | Saturday, March 3 | 4 p.m. ET | Blue Wahoos Stadium
Live Stats | Twitter Updates | Cox Sports Television | ESPN3 | Southern Miss Audio
Ohio State vs. Eastern Michigan | Sunday, March 4 | 11 a.m. ET | Blue Wahoos Stadium
Live Stats | Twitter Updates
ON THE BUMP
Friday vs. Nicholls State: LHP Connor Curlis (1-0, 3.48 ERA) vs. TBA
Saturday vs. Southern Miss: RHP Ryan Feltner (1-0, 7.20 ERA) vs. RHP Nick Sandlin (2-0, 0.00 ERA)
Sunday vs. Eastern Michigan: RHP Adam Niemeyer (0-1, 5.00 ERA) vs. vs. RHP Luke DeVenney (0-0, 6.00 ERA)
Tickets for the Cox Diamond Invitational are $11 for a day pass and $26 for a weekend pass. For more info, visit the tournament website here.
FOLLOW THE ACTION
Live stats links can be found by going to the schedule page of Ohio State Baseball on OhioStateBuckeyes.com. Fans can also follow the action on Twitter via @OhioState_BASE. There will be no video stream available. Oregon State audio will be available for the two games against the Beavers.
- This is the second trip to the state of Florida for the Scarlet and Gray this year. Ohio State opened the 2018 campaign with a 3-1 record at the Snowbird Classic in Port Charlotte, Fla.
- Last weekend, the Buckeyes went 2-2 at the Big Ten/Pac-12 Challenge in Surprise, Ariz. The team beat Utah twice and fell to No. 2 Oregon State in both games at Surprise Stadium.
- This weekend marks the first time Ohio State will play in Pensacola, Fla. in 135 years as a varsity program. Baseball is the oldest sport at Ohio State.
- Ohio State is hitting .311 as a team with 70 runs scored, 17 doubles, five home runs and 6-for-8 in stolen bases.
- The team ranks second in the Big Ten in batting average (.311), on-base percentage (.412), runs scored (70), hits (90), RBI (66), doubles (17) and first in walks (48).
- The OSU pitching staff has combined for a 4.30 ERA with 58 strikeouts and 23 walks.
- Senior Noah McGowan is leading the team with a .429 average with 15 hits, including four doubles, three home runs and 19 RBI. He is second in the country in RBI (19).
- McGowan was named National Player of the Week after driving in a nation-best 13 RBI with two home runs and one double during the opening weekend Feb. 16-18.
- Junior starting pitcher Connor Curlis is 1-0 with a 3.48 ERA with nine strikeouts in 10.1 innings pitched.
- Senior reliever Seth Kinker picked up a win and a save during the team’s opening day doubleheader at Charlotte Sports Park in victories over Milwaukee and Canisius Feb. 16.
- The game Friday will be the first meeting between Ohio State and Nicholls State.
- Ohio State is 5-7 all-time vs. Southern Miss. The game Saturday will be the first meeting between the Buckeyes and Golden Eagles since the 1995 campaign. Ohio State’s last win against Southern Miss was during the 1993 season in a 19-5 victory in Hattiesburg, Miss.
- The Scarlet and Gray are 12-4 all-time vs. Eastern Michigan. The Buckeyes are 8-2 in their last 10 games vs. the Eagles. Last year, Eastern Michigan won, 3-1, April 12 in Columbus.
- The 2018 Buckeyes return 22 letterwinners this season, including 13 members from the 2016
- Big Ten championship team. The team welcomed 10 newcomers in the fall.
- The Scarlet and Gray will rack up the frequent flyer miles, opening the 2018 season with 17-straight road games. The Buckeyes will be in the state of Florida two times and will also visit Arizona, South Carolina and North Carolina. The team will fly a combine 7,516 miles across the country over the next five weeks.
- Dominic Canzone returns for his sophomore campaign after leading the Buckeyes at the plate with a .343 average last season. He was named a third team All-Big Ten selection.
- Kinker will anchor an experienced Buckeye bullpen this spring. Kinker posted a 2.95 ERA in 58.0 innings pitched in 2017.
SCOUTING THE OPPONENTS
2018 Record: 1-5
Team Stats: .264, 11 2B, 4 HR, 2-for-6 SB, 7.27 ERA, 34 K, 27 BB
Top Hitter: Ethan Valdez, .409, 1 2B, 0 HR, 1 RBI
Top Pitcher: Jacob Bedevian, 0-1, 4.50 ERA, 5 K, 4 BB, 10.0 IP
Last Time Out: 0-3 at Kleberg Bank College Classic (midweek game Wednesday at UL-Lafayette)
2018 Record: 6-2
Team Stats: .333, 15 2B, 12 HR, 8-for-11 SB, 4.31 ERA, 79 K, 25 BB
Top Hitter: Luke Reynolds, .469, 5 2B, 4 HR, 15 RBI
Top Pitcher: Nick Sandlin, 2-0, 0.00 ERA, 23 K, 0 BB, 14.0 IP
Last Time Out: Won, 9-7 at New Orleans Tuesday
2018 Record: 1-7
Team Stats: .309, 15 2B, 7 HR, 27-for-34 SB, 9.09 ERA, 40 K, 32 BB
Top Hitter: Max Schuemann, .500, 3 2B, 3 HR, 7 RBI, 9-for-9 SB
Top Pitcher: Davis Feldman, 0-1, 5.68 ERA, 7 K, 6 BB
Last Time Out: Lost two of three games at Jackson State, won finale, 9-3 in eight innings Feb. 25