– Ohio State jumped out to a 7-3 lead after three innings on a windy, but sunny day at the ball park. Conner Pohl roped a two-run double to the gap in left center in the top of the first. Noah West pushed home the third run on a ground out to short. Pohl knocked a RBI single for the 4-1 lead in the second. In the third, Nate Romans scored on a wild pitch from third base before a sacrifice fly by Kobie Foppe. Noah McGowan drove in a run on a sac fly to deep center for the seventh run. The Cardinals scored their three runs on a solo homer in the bottom of the first and a two-run homer in the bottom of the second.
– Control was an issue in the fourth as Ohio State scored four times without registering a hit vs. the Ball State bullpen. West, Canzone and Foppe all walked with the bases loaded to make it 10-3. A ground ball double play pushed West around for the 11th run.
– The Cardinals rallied with nine unanswered runs, hitting a total of five home runs to claim the win. Ball State scored five in the fourth, one in the fifth, two in the sixth and one in the seventh.
– Ohio State had the first three runners on in the seventh, first two in the eighth and first batter in the ninth, but failed to score a run. The Ball State defense turned four double plays, while the Scarlet and Gray turned three. Ohio State left 13 on base and Ball State stranded seven runners.
– Kobie Foppe extended his reached base streak to 25-consecutive games with a 3-for-4 performance. McGowan, Pohl, Dingler and Barnwell each had a pair of hits. Pohl drove in three runs with a double.
Ohio State and Illinois meet Friday-Sunday at Illini Field in Champaign, Ill. All three games will be streamed on BTN Plus ($). Fans can also listen on AM 1460 ESPN. Matt Andrews and Bob Spears will have the call.