CINCINNATI, Ohio – The Ohio State baseball team fell, 14-4, in seven innings in its final midweek game of the year at Cincinnati Tuesday afternoon at Marge Schott Stadium. With the loss, the Buckeyes move to 33-18 overall in 2018 and the Bearcats improve to 27-24 in 2018.
– Ohio State got the first lead of the day when Tyler Cowles launched his seventh home run of the season with a solo shot over the wall in left vs. UC left-handed starter Garret Schoenle.
– The Bearcats scored four runs on three hits runs in the bottom of the third to take the lead. A sac fly with the bases loaded tied it before a two-run double to the gap in left center by Cole Murphy made it 3-1. Two wild pitches scored a fourth run.
– Ohio State right-handed starting pitcher Yianni Pavlopoulos allowed four runs on five hits with three walks and three strikeouts to fall to 1-3 on the year. Griffan Smith, a Cincinnati native, relieved Pavlopoulos with two outs and walked one in 0.1 inning of work. Former Cincinnati Bearcat Austin Woodby was on the mound to start the bottom of the fourth. He threw one scoreless inning and gave up one hit with two strikeouts.
– The Buckeyes cut the deficit to one run in the top of the fifth, scoring two runs on two hits and two UC errors. Dominic Canzone had a RBI single up the middle to plate Jacob Barnwell, while Kobie Foppe put down an infield bunt single to push Noah West A ground ball double play with the bases loaded kept the lead in favor of the Bearcats, 4-3.
– The Bearcats plated five runs on three hits and one OSU error in the bottom of the fifth to extend their lead to 8-3. Lead-off hitter Kyle Mottice had the big swing in the frame with a two-out, bases-clearing triple.
– Ohio State got one run in the seventh when Canzone pushed Bo Coolen home on a RBI ground out. Coolen doubled to start the inning. The Bearcats plates four runs in the bottom of the seventh.
– Schoenle received the win to improve to 1-0, throwing four innings and struck out seven and walked two.
– Ohio State finishes midweek play with a 6-3 record and 3-1 vs. in-state opponents.
– Barnwell threw out his 17th runner of the year and has thrown out 50 percent of attempted base stealers in 2018.
– Cowles hit his seventh homer of the year and 10th of his career. He has three hit three home runs in the last week. He extended his hit streak to a team-high seven straight games.
– Reached base streaks extended: McGowan (10), Cowles (8), Barnwell (8), Foppe (7), Pohl (7), Canzone (5), Coolen (4) and West (3).
– Canzone played in his 100th career game today. He has 131 hits in less than two complete seasons. His hit streak moved to five games.
The Buckeyes travel to East Lansing, Mich., to wrap up the regular season with a three-game series at Michigan State Thursday-Saturday. The first two games of the series will be televised live on BTN. All three games can be heard on AM 1460 ESPN.