Aug. 28, 2017
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State women’s soccer team continues its seven-match homestand against Western Michigan and USF this weekend at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. The match against the Broncos is slated for 5 p.m. Friday with the contest against the Bulls set for 6 p.m. Sunday.
Fans can follow live stats and streaming video on the schedule page at OhioStateBuckeyes.com or follow on Twitter @OhioState_WSOC.
OHIO STATE OF LATE
Eleanor Gabriel scored twice and Alyssa Baumbick added another in the Buckeyes’ 3-0 victory over Buffalo Saturday night. The goals were the first in Gabriel’s and Baumbick’s careers as the Buckeyes outshot the Bulls 26-5, including 15-2 on frame. Goalkeeper Devon Kerr earned her second-consecutive clean sheet in the victory.
IN THE RANKINGS
The Buckeyes are receiving votes in the latest United Soccer Coaches and TopDrawerSoccer.com polls.
SOME MORE NOTES
– The Buckeyes will square off with eight NCAA Tournament teams from a season ago. Among the Buckeyes’ 2017 opponents, six appear in the United Soccer Coaches’ preseason poll including No. 8 BYU, No. 18 Notre Dame, No. 19 Minnesota, No. 21 Rutgers, No. 22 Nebraska and No. 23 Northwestern.
– Sammy Edwards is the only Buckeye on the roster with a hat trick, notching the 13th in program history in a 4-2 win against Dayton in 2014.
– Ohio State is 28-1-2 when scoring at least two goals in a game since the start of 2014, including 2-0-0 in 2017. The Buckeyes went 5-0-1 when scoring at least twice in 2014 before going a perfect 11-0-0 in 2016 and 10-1-1 last season.
– Ohio State is 2-0-0 when scoring first after going 10-0-1 when scoring first a season ago.
– The Buckeyes suffered their first loss in their last 15 overtime matches in a 1-0 double-overtime defeat at No. 1 West Virginia last Nov. 18 before earning the 2-1 overtime win at Arizona State in their 2017 opener Aug. 18 and a scoreless draw at BYU Aug. 21. Ohio State is now 6-1-7 in overtime matches over the last three seasons.
– The Buckeyes have allowed just one goal through their first three matches of 2017, marking the fewest since allowing one tally in the first three contests of 2011. Ohio State has allowed just three shots on frame over the last two matches.
– Ohio State ranks 29th nationally with a 0.30 goals-against average.
– Individually, Arden Holden is tied for third nationally and tied for second in the Big Ten, averaging one assist per contest. Goalkeeper Devon Kerr is tied for fifth in the conference with an .889 save percentage.
– Sammy Edwards is tied for 15th on the Ohio State career goals list with 18.
BUCKEYE TRIO NAMED PLAYERS TO WATCH
Seniors Nikki Walts and Morgan Wolcott, along with freshman Maddy Lowe, have been named the Buckeyes’ players to watch, the conference office announced Aug. 14. Ohio State was selected eighth in the Big Ten preseason coaches’ poll.
WALTS, WOLCOTT NAMED 2017 CAPTAINS
Seniors Nikki Walts and Morgan Wolcott have been named captains of the 2017 Ohio State women’s soccer team, head coach Lori Walker-Hock announced Aug. 15. In addition, Walker-Hock announced sophomore Meghan Kammerdeiner will serve as assistant captain of the Buckeyes.
SCOUTING WESTERN MICHIGAN
Western Michigan is 2-1-0 on the year, earning wins over Oakland and at Wright State before a loss to Indiana last Sunday. Four different Broncos have scored a goal while goalkeeper Stephanie Heber has made 18 saves and posted a 1.56 goals-against average.
Ohio State won the only other meeting with Western Michigan, a 6-1 decision in 1996.
USF is 3-1-0 on the year with wins over Charlotte and American at home and a road overtime victory at Alabama before dropping a 4-2 decision to No. 4 North Carolina last Sunday. Evelyne Viens leads the Bulls with four goals while Andrea Hauksdottir has added three more. Kat Elliott has tallied a 1.84 goals-against average with 19 saves on the year.
Sunday’s match marks the first meeting between the Buckeyes and Bulls.
11 AT HOME AND ADMISSION IS FREE
The Buckeyes’ schedule includes 10 more matches at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium this season. Admission is free to all Ohio State women’s soccer home games.
THE COACHING STAFF
Ohio State is under the direction of 21st-year head coach Lori Walker-Hock. She has guided the team to 11 NCAA Tournament berths (2002-03-04-07-09-10-11-12-13-15-16), a Big Ten regular season championship (2010) and three Big Ten Tournament championships (2002, 2004, 2012). Her record at Ohio State is 228-155-41 and her career record, including two seasons at Kansas, is 241-178-42.
JESSE OWENS MEMORIAL STADIUM
Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium, the home to the Buckeyes, has provided quite the home-field advantage for the women’s soccer team. Some stats about the facility:
– The home team is 123-49-19 all-time.
– Ohio State is 104-32-17 since 2003 and 58-20-9 since 2009.
Ohio State hosts Notre Dame at 7 p.m. Sept. 8 and Saint Joseph’s at 1 p.m. Sept. 10. The match against the Irish will be the Buckeyes’ Parents’ Recognition while the game against the Hawks will be their Senior Recognition.