COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State women’s soccer team concludes non-conference play when it hosts Florida Gulf Coast at 5 p.m. Friday at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.
Fans can follow live stats and streaming video on the schedule page at OhioStateBuckeyes.com or follow on Twitter @OhioStateWSOC.
OHIO STATE OF LATE
Blair Cowan’s game-winner in the 80th minute lifted Ohio State over Notre Dame, 1-0, Sunday afternoon at Alumni Stadium in South Bend. Cowan’s goal was the first of her career and marked the third-consecutive game-winner scored by a Buckeye freshman while Devon Kerr made five saves in goal to notch Ohio State’s third-consecutive shutout.
VATNE NAMED B1G FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
Coming off her hat trick against Morehead State, midfielder Emaly Vatne garnered Big Ten Freshman of the Week honors, the conference office announced Sept. 4. Ohio State’s Big Ten weekly awards for 2018:
Emaly Vatne – Freshman of the Week (9/4)
Kayla Fischer – Player of the Week (8/28)
Kayla Fischer – Freshman of the Week (8/28)
IN THE RANKINGS
Ohio State is receiving votes in the latest United Soccer Coaches poll. The Buckeyes already have faced No. 2 North Carolina, No. 14 Duke and Florida, who is receiving votes in the poll, on the road so far this season.
SOME MORE NOTES
– Ohio State is 38-1-2 when scoring at least two goals in a game since the start of 2014, including 1-0-0 in 2018 and 11-0-0 a season ago. The Buckeyes went 5-0-1 when scoring at least twice in 2014 before going a perfect 11-0-0 in 2015 and 10-1-1 in 2016.
– Ohio State is 3-0-0 on the year when scoring first after it went 15-1-0 when scoring first last season and 10-0-1 in 2016.
– Ohio State was 4-1-1 in overtime contests in 2017 and 9-2-7 in overtime matches over the last three seasons.
– Devon Kerr’s nine shutouts last season tied her with Emily Haynam and Amber Barnes for second on the Buckeyes’ single-season shutout list. Kerr also sits tied for fourth on the Ohio State career shutout list with Emily Haynam with 13.
– Kayla Fischer became the first Buckeye freshman to score the team’s first goal of the season since Lisa Collison did so in a 2-0 win over Xavier in 2005.
– In the win over No. 5 Florida, the Buckeyes knocked off their highest-ranked opponent since a 2-0 victory over No. 3 Penn State in the 2004 Big Ten Tournament championship game.
– The eight goals scored by the Buckeyes against Morehead State tied for the third-most in a single game in program history. Ohio State also scored eight goals in an 8-1 win over Xavier in 2004. The highest scoring outputs in Ohio State history:
14 vs. Robert Morris (10/12/95)
9 at Valparaiso (11/2/96)
8 vs. Xavier (9/2/04)
8 vs. Morehead State (8/30/18)
7 vs. Youngstown State (9/21/03)
7 vs. Illinois (9/14/17)
– Emaly Vatne’s hat trick vs. Morehead State was the 15th in Ohio State history and the first since Lindsay Agnew scored three times in a 3-0 win over Iowa Sept. 25, 2016. Vatne becomes the third freshman in program history to notch a hat trick, joining Sammy Edwards in 2014 and Nichelle Prince in 2013, and her seven points against the Eagles were the second-most in a single game in Ohio State history. Lisa Suttmiller notched eight on three goals and two assists at Valparaiso in 1996.
SCOUTING FLORIDA GULF COAST
Florida Gulf Coast, one of 12 perfect teams nationally through three weeks of play, is 4-0-0 on the year after a 3-2 victory of Michigan last Sunday. Evdokia Popadinova and Holly Fritz lead the Eagles with four goals each while Melissa Weck has notched a 1.00 goals-against average with 13 saves.
Ohio State won the only previous meeting between the two schools, a 1-0 double-overtime win in Fort Myers in 2016.
Ohio State opens Big Ten play at Penn State at 6 p.m. Sept. 14.