May 15, 2017
RELATED INFO: 2017 Team Guide | 2017 Schedule | 2017 Roster | Baseball Homepage | Big Ten Baseball | Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram | Promotional Calendar | Buy Tickets
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State baseball team concludes its midweek schedule against Toledo at 6:35 p.m. Tuesday at Nick Swisher Field at Bill Davis Stadium. The contest will be streamed on BTN Plus ($).
Game 53 | vs. Toledo | Tuesday, May 16 | 6:35 p.m. ET
Live Stats | BTN Plus | Twitter Updates
ON THE BUMP
TUESDAY: RHP Jake Vance (0-3, 6.14 ERA) vs. RHP Joey Prechtel (1-4, 5.91 ERA)
Dollar Dog Night
FOLLOW THE ACTION
The contest vs. the Rockets will be streamed on BTN Plus ($). A links to live stats links can be found by going to the schedule page of Ohio State Baseball on OhioStateBuckeyes.com. Fans can also follow the action on Twitter via @OhioState_BASE.
- Ohio State is 20-32 overall and 7-14 in Big Ten play. The Buckeyes are 7-15 at home this season.
- Last time out, the Scarlet and Gray fell in a road series at Iowa. The Buckeyes dropped the opener, 9-5, before winning the middle game, 12-7. Iowa rallied with nine runs in the final three innings to win the finale in walk-off fashion by an 11-10 score.
- The Buckeyes lead the all-time series vs. Toledo, 30-6-1. Ohio State is 24-3 at home against the Rockets and are 9-0-1 against Toledo in the last 10 games. Ohio State holds a 3-2 record vs. MAC opponents this season.
- Rookie Dominic Canzone leads the Buckeyes with a .351 average at the dish, which is second-best in the Big Ten.
- Tre’ Gantt is the conference leader in walks (36). He leads the team in hits (58) and runs scored (41).
- Jalen Washington leads the Buckeyes with 13 doubles, four triples, five home runs and 35 RBI.
- The OSU pitching staff has seen 16 different arms on the mound this year. Kinker is 3-0 with a 2.65 ERA and 50 strikeouts in 51.0 innings pitched in 20 relief appearances. He is fifth in league games with a 2.55 ERA.
- Ohio State is hitting .257 as a team with 86 doubles, 18 triples and 37 home runs.
- The OSU pitching staff has combined for a 5.29 ERA with 382 strikeouts in 459.1 innings pitched.
- The 2017 campaign marks the 134th season of Ohio State baseball and 21st at Bill Davis Stadium.
- The team is led by seventh-year head coach Greg Beals, who led the Buckeyes to a Big Ten tournament championship and NCAA Regional in 2016.
- The team is guided by a five-member senior class that includes four fifth-year seniors: Jake Post, Shea Murray, Joe Stoll and Zach Ratcliff.
- Washington and redshirt junior pitcher Adam Niemeyer were both named captains. Washington was recently named a Senior CLASS Award Candidate.
- Kinker was named to the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) Preseason Stopper of the Year Watch List.
- Yianni Pavlopoulos joined Washington and Kinker on the B1G Players to Watch List.
- Ohio State welcomed 15 newcomers to the 35-man roster, including seven junior college transfers.
- Highlighting the early part of the schedule were ranked wins over No. 5 Oregon State (6-1; Feb. 24) and No. 24 FGCU (5-4, March 12).
OHIO STATE AS OF LATE
The Buckeyes dropped the series opener against the Hawkeyes by a 9-5 score. Ohio State rebounded with a 12-7 win in game two. In the finale, Iowa rallied with nine runs in the final three innings to win in walk-off fashion, 11-10. Conner Pohl is hitting .462 (6-for-13) with two doubles and a home run in his last five games, while Dominic Canzone has pushed in seven runs with a .346 average. Zach Ratcliff (.421) and Shea Murray (.409) have combined for 17 hits in the last five contests.
SCOUTING THE ROCKETS
Toledo is 15-36 overall and 8-13 in MAC play. The Rockets fell in two of three games at home against Central Michigan over the weekend. Toledo is hitting .246 as a team with 90 doubles, 16 triples and 34 home runs. Brad Boss is hitting .285 with seven doubles, three triples and five home runs. Dalton Bollinger has a team-high 17 doubles and six home runs. The Toledo pitching staff has a combined 6.01 ERA with 328 strikeouts in 450.1 innings pitched.
SENIOR DAY SATURDAY
The Buckeyes conclude the 2017 regular season Thursday-Saturday against Indiana at Nick Swisher Field at Bill Davis Stadium. The Scarlet and Gray will recognize their five seniors before first pitch Saturday against the Hoosiers.
BUCKEYES IN THE BIG TEN
Ohio State ranks second in triples (18), third in walks (217) and sixth in home runs (37). The Buckeye pitching staff has a 5.29 ERA, which is tenth in the conference, while striking out 382 hitters, good for sixth in the league. Dominic Canzone is second in the league in hitting (.351). Tre’ Gantt is first in walks (36) and seventh in runs scored (41). Jalen Washington is tied for second in the league in triples (4) and fourth in hit by pitches (15).
FIVE BUCKEYES RECEIVE DEGREES
Five members of the team graduated from The Ohio State University on Sunday: fifth-year seniors Zach Ratcliff (sport industry), Jake Post (human development & family science), Shea Murray (political science), Joe Stoll (integrated systems engineering) and senior student manager Caleb Huth.
ROOKIE OF THE YEAR CAMPAIGN
Freshman Dominic Canzone has seen the ball as well as anyone in the Big Ten over the last month, racking up 53 hits and 12 walks for a .351 average, for second in the league. Included in his 53 hits are four doubles, three triples, three home runs, while driving in 32 RBI.
- Hitting .370 (17-for-46), while driving in 10 runs in his last 10 games.
- Had a 12-game hit streak this year (team-high). Currently on a five-game hit streak.
- Batted .364 (4-for-11) to lead team at plate at Michigan series (5/5-7).
- Had a three-hit game vs. No. 4 Texas Tech May 3.
- Hit the walk-off single in the bottom of the 12th vs. Bowling Green last Tuesday.
- Hit his first career grand slam last Sunday at Iowa.
- Second in the Big Ten in conference games in batting average (.403), third in RBI (21), fourth in slugging percentage (.611) and seventh in slugging percentage (.444) and stolen bases (6). He is the league leader in four of five categories by Big Ten freshmen.
- Team-high 17 multi-hit games and nine multi-RBI performances.
- Batting .378 (17-for-45) with runners in scoring position and .375 (21-for-56) with two outs. Has totaled a team-high 20 two-out RBI.
- Named Big Ten Freshman of the Week April 10.
- Jalen Washington, Tre’ Gantt and Dominic Canzone lead the team with 17 multi-hit games.
- Canzone leads the Buckeyes with a team-high nine multi-RBI contests.
- Seth Kinker has made 76 career appearances, which is 12th in the OSU career appearances list.
- Jacob Barnwell is hitting .360 (18-for-50) with two outs.
- Opponents are hitting .176 (6-for-34) vs. left-handed reliever Joe Stoll.
- Three freshmen position players have seen quality time on the field: Canzone (45 gp, 35 gs), Noah West (33 gp, 26 gs) and Conner Pohl (27 gp, 13 gs).
- Former Buckeye Drew Rucinski was recently called up to the Minnesota Twins last week. Former Buckeye Travis Lakins was promoted to the Portland Sea Dogs last Wednesday.
- Ohio State has hit five grand slams this year.
Ohio State concludes the 2017 regular season with a three-game series vs. Indiana May 18-20 at Nick Swisher Field at Bill Davis Stadium. All three games will be streamed on BTN Plus ($) and fans can listen on AM 1460 ESPN.