Dec. 14, 2015
Athletes of the Week
- Nathan Tomasello, wrestling
- The reigning national champion at 125 pounds ran his winning streak to 28 matches with a 10-1 major decision over eighth-ranked Barlow McGhee of Missouri on Saturday.
- Tomasello took control in the second period and never looked back. Leading 7-1 late in the third, he scored a takedown and tacked on a riding time point for the key bonus points.
- Kelsey Mitchell, women’s basketball
- Mitchell scored 22 points, dished six assists and collected three steals – all without committing a single turnover – in No. 10 Ohio State’s 89-56 over North Carolina A&T on Sunday.
No. 10 Women’s Basketball (6-3)
- Two Buckeyes scored 20 points in Ohio State’s 89-56 victory over NC A&T on Sunday: Mitchell and Ameryst Alston (20).
- Alexa Hart notched the 14th double-double of her career; the sophomore scored 14 points while grabbing 11 rebounds.
Men’s Basketball (4-5)
- Ohio State defeated Air Force 74-50 on Tuesday for its fourth win; all four victories for the Buckeyes this season have been by at least 20 points.
- Jae’Sean Tate and Marc Loving reached double figures in scoring in both games last week, while Loving’s 18 points against Air Force led all scorers.
- Three Ohio State football players (Vonn Bell, Joey Bosa, and Taylor Decker) have been named First Team All-Americans. Bosa and Decker were honored by the Walter Camp All-America team, the oldest such team in the country.
- Zach Mason was selected through nationwide balloting as the 2015 Senior CLASS Award® winner in NCAA Division I men’s soccer.
- Mason became the second Buckeye men’s soccer player in as many years to win the award, marking the first time since the award’s inception that student-athletes from the same university have received the honor.
- Liam Doyle was named a Third Team All-American by the NSCAA.
- Peanut Johnson was named a Third Team All-American, becoming the 14th student-athlete in program history to receive that distinction and the first since 2001.
No. 2 Men’s Gymnastics
- No. 2 Ohio State was named the preseason favorite in the Big Ten Conference in a poll of league coaches released Thursday.
- Ohio State returns three All-Americans and 16 letterwinners to its roster for the 2016 season, led by “Big Ten Gymnasts to Watch” Sean Melton and Jake Martin.
Ohio State Athletics Schedule
12.14.15 – 12.20.15
Wednesday, Dec. 16
- Men’s Basketball vs. Northern Illinois, 7 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio
Friday, Dec. 18
- Women’s Basketball vs. Princeton, 7 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio
- Wrestling at Northwestern, 8 p.m. – Evanston, Ill.
Saturday, Dec. 19
- Men’s Basketball vs. Kentucky, 3:30 p.m. – Brooklyn, N.Y.
Sunday, Dec. 20
- Men’s Gymnastics – Scarlet & Gray Exhibition, 2 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio