Oct. 13, 2014
Athletes of the Week
Tanner Fritz, Men’s Hockey
- Fritz, the Buckeyes’ captain, led the squad to a come-from-behind win over No. 3/4 Providence in the season opener, with a point on four of the Buckeyes’ five goals in a 5-4 OT win. He had two goals and two assists for four points, his third career four-point game and first since November 2013. Fritz scored the Buckeyes’ last two goals against PC, tying the game at 3 early in the third period and then deadlocking the score at 4 with less than eight minutes left in regulation.
Lina Aguillon, Women’s Golf
- Aguillon earned Big Ten Golfer of the Week honors after besting 80 competitors to place second at the Windy City Collegiate. The Buckeye junior is now 3-for-3 on Top-25 finishes during her Buckeye career.
Women’s Volleyball (13-5, 4-2 B1G)
- For the first time in school history, the women’s volleyball team has recorded back-to-back-to-back wins with all three opponents ranked in the Top 25. Ohio State had home triumphs over No. 15 Illinois and No. 24 Northwestern this week, to compliment a win over No. 8 Nebraska last Saturday (Oct. 4).
Men’s Hockey (1-1-0, 0-0-0 B1G)
- In its season opener vs. No. 3/4-ranked Providence on Friday, the men’s hockey team came from a goal down four times to force overtime. Ultimately, the Buckeyes churned out the victory, downing the Friars by a score of 5-4. The teams met again on Saturday, with Ohio State once again putting up a strong fight in a 2-1 overtime loss.
- To compliment Fritz’s four-point outing, junior Anthony Greco scored his third goal of Ohio State’s Friday evening contest with Providence just 28 seconds into overtime, leading the Buckeyes to a 5-4 win. Greco’s hat trick was the first multiple goal outing of his career, as well as his first three-point game.
- The women’s golf team had an impressive third round of play at the Windy City Collegiate on Tuesday, to finish sixth in the team standings. The Buckeyes shot a 285 on the final day, their lowest round of the event and seven strokes better than the other competitive squads.
- Aguillon, the event runner-up, dipped under par twice and shot 2-under overall (70-71-73).
Women’s Swimming and Diving
- The women’s swimming and diving team opened its season Friday evening on a positive note, winning the 50th Annual Dennis Stark Relays hosted by the University of Notre Dame. With a total team score of 194, the Buckeyes claimed nine of 10 relay races at the event.
Field Hockey (5-6, 0-4 B1G)
- The field hockey team earned a 3-1 win over non-conference foe Kent State Sunday afternoon at Buckeye Varsity Field.
- Freshmen Maddy Humphrey and Annabel Sams scored all three Buckeye goals in the contest.
Ohio State Athletics Schedule
10.13.14 – 10.19.14
Monday, Oct. 13
- Fencing – October NAC Cup – Portland, Ore.
Thursday, Oct. 16
- Women’s Soccer vs. Michigan State, 3:30 p.m. – East Lansing, Mich.
- Wrestling – Wrestle-Offs, 8 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio
- Men’s Tennis – Midwest Regionals – Ann Arbor, Mich.
Friday, Oct. 17
- Field Hockey vs. Indiana, 3 p.m. – Bloomington, Ind.
- Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving, 5 p.m. – Scarlet vs. Gray – Columbus, Ohio
- Women’s Hockey vs. Bemidji State, 6:07 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio
- Men’s Hockey vs. Miami (Ohio), 7 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio
- Men’s Lacrosse – Buckeyes vs. Buckeye Pros, 7 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio
- Women’s Volleyball vs. Indiana, 7 p.m. – Bloomington, Ind.
- Women’s Cross Country – adidas Invitational – Madison, Wis.
Saturday, Oct. 18
- Pistol vs. U.S. Military Academy, 8 p.m. – West Point, N.Y.
- Men’s Swimming – Alumni vs. Varsity, 11 a.m. – Columbus, Ohio
- Women’s Hockey vs. Bemidji State, 12:07 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio
- Football vs. Rutgers, 3:30 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio
- Men’s Soccer vs. Wisconsin, 7 p.m. – Madison, Wis.
- Men’s Hockey vs. Miami (Ohio), 7:05 – Oxford, Ohio
- Men’s Cross Country – Indiana State Pre-Nationals – Terre Haute, Ind.
Sunday, Oct. 19
- Field Hockey vs. Iowa, 12 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio
- Women’s Soccer vs. Michigan, 2 p.m. – Ann Arbor, Mich.